Thursday, July 9, 2015

Be Kind and Smile
My Everyday Mission
Day 144 ~ Year  3
Team Zybko
July 9th, 2015


(Despite another cup of strong coffee I can not recall the dudes name to give appropriate photo creds)

This picture just popped up on my FB notifications, it was taken 4 years ago at the Parking Lot Mission in downtown Florence. Wow, that was a quick 4 year time hop! How is that even possible as it seems like yesterday yet also a lifetime ago. As we all know, time has a funny way of bending, pulling and morphing that clouds our mental time line in a way I'm sure I will never figure out.

I had no intentions of blogging this morning but I can't stop looking at this real moment caught during a routine Saturday morning at the "Lot".  Even though its in black and white you can see the direct 8am sunlight hit our faces and shine bright through our smiles. 

We are both happy for a friendship created through God and sustained whole heartily with a common love for fellow humans. 

A little help for others always comes back tenfold, but that was never our motivation. My family and I were blessed beyond measure simply by being called to do our part. 

The relationships formed and the enjoyment that came from these early Saturday mornings and a hot breakfast shared was icing certainly not expected. Icing on the the biggest layer cake of life imaginable.  

Typing with a huge cheesy grin my memory bank is filled up with happy tears as I recollect the time spent here. Years of changing seasons spent serving, talking, listening and standing in between the white lines of the back parking lot spots. Spots meant for cars yet filled mostly with bikes, worn grocery bags, make-shift shopping carts, appreciated hugs and handshakes. 

My gut is filled with joy from the gift of this mission. I long for a mission like this in my life again. It will come, I am sure of it.

Despite not having a 'place' to go do mission work instead I strive to live a mission everywhere I go.

I ask God daily to help me have and maintain the kind of patience required to be kind and smile to all people. To be a light, not just to the happy people I encounter during a 24 hour period, that's the easy stuff  but also to the peeps that need it more than ever. The grumpy, the sad, the depressed, the not so sweet, the lonely and the sometimes slightly prickly. 

The ones who don't even realize they need it.

I can recognize these people because I have been each at one time or another.

So, until the timing is right, until God places another Parking Lot Mission in our path I will take the mission field with me. Armed with HIS love and the big goofy smile HE gave me. 
Thank you Lord for this opportunity to make a difference. 

God Bless 

No comments:

Post a Comment