Friday, June 12, 2015



Ambitious 8 Mile Hike!
Day 138 ~ Year 3
Team Zybko
June 11, 2015

The  adventure, sweat, fun and challenge was real people. The planning was also real, as in real-ly not very good. I probably could have honed in on my map reading skills from my 1 short year as a wannabe Girl Scout when I was 8 to realize this many miles would probably be too many, but I didn't. We were all in for mission. To climb confidently to the overlook, to reach the beautiful view promised at the summit and enjoy our packed lunch and each others company.

Somewhere around the very steep mile 4 while pretending not to be the weakest link my sole motivation became a hummus and feta cheese turkey wrap made hours earlier in my air conditioned and very flat kitchen. 

I can do this. We can do this. Let's do this.
Just keep swimming

I didn't plan on it being so hot or needing way more water than I carried in my backpack cooler.

I didn't plan for my plantar fasciitis to rear it's ugly head or the lettuce on my motivation to be limp and lifeless by the time we sat down to eat.

But don't mind me, that's the middle aged wimpy lady typing out loud.

The real deal is.....

I didn't plan on such a great workout.

I didn't plan on the 7 year old with the shortest legs of the group to get a 4th wind, leading the way confidently between mile markers 4.5 and 7.5.

I didn't plan on my 10 year old energizer bunny~golden retriever kid ever uttering the words 
I'm really tired mom, I don't think I can go any farther.
and for ME to transfer the necessary energy vibes.

I didn't plan on the teenager offering up a challenge to sprint the last half a mile and the rest of the worn out kids taking her up on it. 

I DO PLAN on doing it again, to pack more liquids and to breath easier next time. Oh yea and to remember to secretly stash a few ibuprofen and perhaps a half a sleeve of Thin Mints somewhere on persons.

What?! I googled it. Apparently it's just my luck, these delicious cookies are known to taste best at 1,600 plus feet! 
Girl Scout wannabe's and the internet know best :)











No comments:

Post a Comment