Sunday, January 11, 2015

New Year-Change of Habit Time!

14 Habits of a Healthy Person
Team Zybko
January 11, 2015
Day 92-Year 3  

I am a professional people watcher. I admit it, I am. Human habits and behavior are extremely fascinating to me. The cheapest form of entertainment around and an excellent way to pass the time standing in crowded lines in places such as the grocery store, airport of local mall. I'd like to say I am more curious than noisy but whatevs we all have a way twisting things around to sound better. I'm sticking with curious though.

I watch. I take mental notes. I snipe pictures. I watch some more. Sometimes it creates blog posts. Other times it motivates me to change. That’s where I am. Change time. 

No one has ever accused me of being a dietitian or scientist but I am however observant enough to connect the dots of certain lines to create an educated conclusion. Plus, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night so what I type here must be absolutely accurate and true. Period.

During this past year I have had the opportunity to hang around some pretty healthy, fit individuals. Six pack people. Jump up at anytime for a 100 push-ups people. Give your heart a great work out people. Wear pants with buttons cause they always fit no matter what people. Smart enough to know we are only issued one body in this lifetime people. Inspirational people. Disciplined people. I want to be like them when I grow people.

Little did they know they were part of an informal soccer mom study.
How do they stay fit?
How do they view food?
How do they not give into cravings?
How do they stay motivated?
Well, apparently there is some correlation between the fitness part and the food part. Duh. They go together like;
Butter and pasta
Nutella and pretzel rods
Pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream

Wait, silly ole me, I need a re-do. I mean they go together harmoniously like hummus and broccoli. Yep, that’s it. It is the beginning of a new year. ‘Lettuce’  think in vegetable comparisons, it’s a start.

Here are a few noteworthy habits I thought I’d share. They seem to add up to form little bits of the bigger picture. I’m not trying to give you advice about your personal diet choices...blah blah blah...no way Jose, that information is better given by a pro. These are just observations I, uh, observed.
This is what “they “do.  

1) They choose water over any other beverage and are often found with a bottle in hand, in a backpack or in their vehicle.

2) They kick the bread off their sandwich and make it a spinach-y wrap or simply eat the innards solo.

3) Vacation days are not vacation days from exercise. They keep moving.

4) They pick transparent salad dressing or do with out all together.

5) They don’t label any foods completely off limits.  Moderation is mastered here. The tiny 3-bite rule is key. (Kath)

6) They eat to feed their bodies for optimal performance not to feed mental cravings.

7) If they are bored they go out for a run instead of running to the pantry.

8)  They dish out a serving size of a particular snack from its container. The container is then closed. Not re-opened. Not left open. Closed, put away, done.

9) They understand the long lasting feeling and knowledge of treating your body with respect totally outweighs the fleeting goodness of a large Birthday Cake Blizzard, a few Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Bo Jangles mac n’ cheese or McDonald's French fries.

10) They choose the basic drip coffee over the upside-down Flint Rubble Bubble, extra whip, syrupy fatty latte.

11) They see commercial breaks or any type of down time as a great opportunity to squeeze in a set of squats, crunches, planks and push ups.

12) They take the time to prepare and plan ahead good meals. Chicken breast prepped to cook, salad ingredients cut up and Tupperware containers cleaned and ready for a meal on the go. A busy lifestyle is no excuse to zip through the dollar menu drive thru.

13) They make exercise part of the normal daily routine like sleeping, working and showering.

14) They never say;
“I will start my better eating routine on Monday or the 1st of the month, or the next time I go shopping and get the right stuff”

Do it now. Do it for you. Do it for a healthy change of habit.




No comments:

Post a Comment