Tuesday, July 19, 2011

365 Random days of Team Zybko


Day #55


9/3/11


Guitar UN-hero




Oh yea, sure Delaney I will totally play guitar hero with you!


The mountain of clean laundry dumped haphazardly atop the pool table can certainly wait. My heart wasn't into the chore anyway, or my work ethic. In efforts to just get-er-done I didn't even sort that last load by color before washing. No worries though, I'm pretty hopeful when confronted by "Quality Control" I could sweet talk my way out of it. The schmoozie Irish side of me is quite dominant and persuasive.




Mom, I'm gonna set you up on easy and you can even pick the song. I'm warning you though, all the songs are all kinda weird and really, really long.

I scroll down the list of jamz from the late 70's and early 80's.

I take that back

Delaney does it for me.

I'm not really sure how this lightweight, fake, plastic guitar works.
Wait, wait, wait go back up.

No, not that one Delaney.

Down...no...no....not that one either.

The goofy lit up arrow seems to be bouncing all over the flat screen.

Was Atari this hard to set up?

Mom, really? We re burning daylight here. Just pick any of them, it's doesn't matter.

I choose to ignore her sarcasm and slightly rude tone.

Monkey hear monkey say.

Props for her memory, and dramatic interpretation.


I've stood at many a Chuck-E-Cheese ticket counters around the nation,

desperate and praying for patience.

Uttering those same exact words.

JUST PICK ANYTHING

I'm thankful when my tired Mom eyes finally focus long enough to recognize a

"classic"

Oh, sorry....yep, yep, yep that one.


Free Bird
I totally got this one in the bag.

I think confidently to myself.

Should I play my hardest and crush Delaney

or

build her nine year guitar hero confidence?



The decision is quickly made for me.

The notes to the famous Lynard Skynard song whiz past my side of the split screen

Way too fast!

3 buttons.....
YELLOW

RED

GREEN


How hard could this be?

Oh my stars, my timing is terrible.

Maybe I have a left handed guitar or something.

Two minutes or more had past when Delaney finally asked

Mom, did you know we had started?

Yep!

Motioning with the end of her guitar she gets concerned.

Are you following the notes on that side?

Uh, well....I'm trying.
Almost as if she was on some sort of auto pilot encouraging mode.

She un-knowingly mimics me once again.

Don't freak out Mom

It just takes some people more time than others to catch on.

We are all made differently.






At first I think I'm being tortured by the length of this track.
Will this experience ever end?
Player one's groupie meter is loosing strength rapidly.
Mountains of unfolded clothes and mis-matched socks blur my thoughts.
I could abort and resume folding laundry.
Yep, I know how to do that chore.
Caught on to that game about 4,271 sorted loads ago.
I snap out of my pity-party and
Fill my positivity glass to the rim.
Quality time with the kids should trump pride any day.


Drexel, an innocent by-stander promotes himself to head photographer.
I'm proud that at his age he realized a Kodak moment before it was too late.
Laughing so hard in between clicks he begins to drool on my Nikon.
I ignore the saliva, hoping it was on AUTO and his fingers were not in front of the lens.


It's ok Mom, with a little bit of practice you will get better.
At this point I have tuned out my well meaning, cheerleading, mini-me.
My brain hurts from concentrating.
My lower lip has become numb.


WHITE MANS OVERBITE


Quality un-guitar hero time was well spent and perfect.
A good lesson for the kids and me.
For an hour or so my scores were beaten over and over again.
My rock star dreams also crushed.
No worries.
My kids don't want a famous Mom.
Just me.
So for now, on this quality time kinda afternoon.
My groupie meter needle reads
FULL


























No comments:

Post a Comment