Saturday, March 5, 2011







365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO

DAY #29

03/05/11

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DELANEY GRACE!



I could have sworn I bought a new #9 candle. Just recently, to be ready for Delaney's big day. No biggie, I'm sure I'll find it before Drexel needs it. For now it's math time to = 9. Delaney is a chip off the old sugar block so I guarantee she was more focused on the yummy icing than any lit accessory.



The younger kids were SO patient while the tantalizing sweet cake lay before their eyes.
Can I have a swipe Mom?
Can I have a swipe Mom?
Can I have a swipe Mom?

Oh my stars kids. Is it THAT hard to sit within inches of a Freeman's Bakery cake with a lick? Well, heck yeah it is, I already tried some myself.
SO
While the Birthday girl had her head turned,
I whisper sure, go ahead......but do it quickly.
Eyes as big as saucers, I am now up for Mother of the Year award. If only these two knew how to write an essay, I'd be a shoe-in.



It's late evening already. Where did the 'Birthday' day go? It came and went with out a ton of fan fare, balloons, hoopla or gifts. It was mostly a regular Saturday in the middle of soccer season, filled with mostly soccer.
Duh.....
I should have seen the writing on wall nine years ago, of course this how her Birthday would be celebrated. Lucky for me Delaney was born on a Tuesday afternoon, giving me plenty of time to adjust before coaching the boys game that Saturday.

I was only a tidy tad rusty with the whole Boobie-ing on the go thing. I caught back on quick, totally second nature by the end of the first half. Most people had no clue she was having breakfast under my sweatshirt as I cheered and paced on the sidelines.


Big brother treated her to breakfast at Burger King. Wearing her paper crown proudly she met us at Drexel's game. A quick visit from her favorite soccer Mom Deb and her grown babies, her day was shaping up fast. Already in her blue and white uniform she shuffles back and forth, anxious to warm up with her team. Before we scoot to the older boys game Daddy presents her with a birthday gift.
New cleats.
Perfect timing Daddy, thanks. I love them!



With just siblings around that HUGE cake it was a LITTLE strange.

New and different but OK. I'm learning to roll with this new season we are in.

Everything doesn't need to be BIG, LOUD and CHAOTIC to be GOOD.

Riding a min dirt bike, playing with her BFF til dark and her favorite taco dinner. Delaney's 9th Birthday may not be remembered forever. More than likely this day won't be retained in her memory bank. No Chuck-e-Cheese ticket counter excitement or late night sleepover madness.

Simple, sweet and apparently just the right 'size' for her. I look over at my new nine year old, snuggled in her blankie, legs kicked up comfortably on the oversized couch. She has fallen asleep watching "Good Luck Charlie" in the family room....in her dirty soccer uniform.

I'm pretty sure, for Delaney, that's the icing on her day.

Don't worry Diane, I will eat your piece. It won't go to waste.











1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of Delaney and Stephanie looking all tough!

    ReplyDelete