Sunday, January 15, 2012





365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY # 79

January 15th 2012

The Big 40; Like a Pant Size

It's just a number.


I am awake before anyone, savoring every minute in my quiet zone. Starring into space, I'm very content and lost in thought about a second cup of coffee when I hear shuffling from the hallway. It's Delaney walking out of the bathroom. I know it is her. All the kids sound different. The way each one of their specially made feet shuffle across the floor. My coffee cup is cast aside as I uncross my legs off the comfy couch. I prepare for a big nine year old hug. I simultaneously check out of la-la land and check in to Motherhood.
The minutes tick by. Strange. Before she can even walk straight I am usually the lucky winner of a sleepy eyed, messy haired, morning breath, may or may not toot on me kinda hug. I am looking forward to one this morning.

OK, wait....that's really a big fat lie. The truth is;

Delaney has recently graduated from some on the job training.

I may or may not have told her she could possibly be my favorite if she masters the skill of pouring my coffee with out burning herself or spilling it while serving it to my bedside school.

She graduated top of her class. I was such a proud momma that day.

As much as I enjoy her first of the morning kisses I was really hoping for her to utilize her recently obtained degree.

A few long minutes later she steadily walks around the corner from the kitchen. Carefully holding a small plate filled with a pop tart and two very bright on fire birthday candles.

Oh my word, she has NOT gone to school for that yet.

Looking very pleased with herself as she sings Happy Birthday in her low, raspy, maybe she smoked as a two year voice.

The big ole, very necessary lecture about fire can wait.

Delaney, you are so sweet to remember and you found the right numbers.

Well, I was going to light a ? mark one we had, to pretend I didn't remember how old you really are.

Oh, thanks honey.

Delilah wobbles into the room with killer bedhead. Too lazy to get my camera, I continue to nibble on my breakfast birthday treat.

Oh mommy, mommy, mommy!

Happy Birf day.

I love you.

She stares at my aging face with a confused look.

Oh geez, do I look that old this morning?

But mommy, it's your birf day.

Yep, that's right.

But you don't look any bigger?

I smile big. More laugh lines created by the minute.







2 comments:

  1. Aww, happy birthday! And I had no clue you were 40, you sure had me fooled but that's a good thing. Totally with you on the coffee though, love some morning coffee but the birthday pop tart sounds like a fun and thoughtful idea.

    See ya at the gym.

    A.L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, Happy Birthday!!! Love ya! Cousin Val

    ReplyDelete