Sunday, June 17, 2012

365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY #158
JUNE 17th, 2012
FATHERS DAY
DADDY ALWAYS MAKE IT RIGHT

 

Hey Daddy....
Ya think we should take the boat out on the lake
and fish a little today?
Baby Daddy quickly turns his head to look outside. I catch the light and his answer in my husbands face before he even utters a word.These are the days he lives for. Picture perfect weather, togetherness, adventure and simple kinda living. He can't deny the beauty of the sun or the sunshine in Drexel's eyes as he patiently waits for a response.
Sounds like a good idea to me little man let's do it! 
Momma.....watcha think?
He verbally confers with me, his wife just to be official and all but we both know it's a done deal.
Ok with me.
 He had me years ago. Hook, line and sinker. I too am a sucker and #1 fan of his big brown eyes. 


 
LaLa hurries to pick out her best fishin' outfit and runs outside to meet up with Daddy. Being his helper is more than half the fun.


I haven't the slightest idea how to hook the trailer up to the prison van or the necessary gear needed for such an adventure.
That's alright.
Daddy does.
He will make it right.


Still in the drive way.
We wait for the sunscreen to dry
and the minnows to be bought back from the store
by little David.



 
Ten  minutes later we are armed and prepared for the sun with a generous thick layer of 50 plus SPF.
Within those short hot minutes one tiny fish which was going to find it's fate as bait has already bitten the dust.



Drexel feels a tidy tad bad as even he knows
 excited little boy over handling
 is the exact cause of death written on the little fishies autopsy.
He says a quick prayer gives him a kiss and tosses him the bushes. Nice, real nice.



Having high hopes of taking the boat and the kids out by myself one day during a nothing to do Summer day, I ask Baby Daddy.
Can I try and back the boat into the landing?
I can get the hang of it while you are here.
How hard can it be I think to myself.
Tic...tic....tic.
After many many tries Baby Daddy walks to my window and gently with the cutest smile ever whispers.
It's ok babe, it's really tricky.
I will get us in the water and then you can learn how to run the motor.
My heart swells. No matter what the situation is he always knows the right approach, the right words and the right tone.
Once again he makes it right.



On the water it's smooth sailing.
We all agree it can't get much better than this.



Until the motor starts hissing,
sputtering and blowing smoke all around us.
Delaney dramatizes a made up asthma type cough and freaks Lala out as she casually mentions.....
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh..
 The boat might actually blow up! 




 
Baby Daddy's big mechanical hands tinker around a while.
Patiently fiddling with different hoses, knobs and buttons.
I sit on a blazing hot blue pleather bucket seat and watch.
This isn't really my department.
I feel about as useful as a turd in a punchbowl. 




Drexel entertains the squirmy crew with fish faces and renditions of Peter Pan walking the plank. I probably should tell him to get down and give up my seat to him but the cushion under my soccer mom bum has finally cooled down. I didn't want to move as it really was good acting. Jr. Oscar award wining material.
As we continued to watch, the temptation to push him overboard was even tough for me to resist so I think fast and lock eyes with Delaney.
Pretending not to smirk she looks as innocent as she can back at me. I narrow my eyes and tilt my head at a slight angel.
Don't even think about it.
What?!
Delaney Grace.....
OK mom.


Baby Daddy somehow jerry rigs the rusty parts and gets us cruising the calm waters before too long.
Making it right....well this time, right enough anyways.
Right before anyone gets in trouble or blows away from starvation. As I have forget the well stocked snack pack on the kitchen counter.
I'm just as bummed as the kids. I could really use a a few double stuffed Oreos for the peaceful, relaxing ride.
Twist, scrape, eat....repeat.
Like the Indians, I waste nothing.
I am responsible, always eating all parts of the cookie. 
  


Anyone who has taken children fishing knows
very little fishing actually ever happens.
Getting rods in proper order for 3 little ones is no easy feat.
Over and over again. Second verse same as the first.
Lost lures, popped lines and one too many near misses to the ear while learning how to cast.
Baby Daddy loves fishing but he loves to teach our kids how to fish way more. Hands down.




He seems to become more and more patient with each jacked up fishing rod that gets passed his way. Even Lala totally gets into thought of catching something from the dark waters.


For about 3 and half minutes that is.

She is by far more interested in the simple things in life. Fishing to her is too complicated and not worth the reward. If she succeeds and does it correctly a nasty, slimy, smelly fish will be at the end of her line. Not really winning in her little world. 

Instead her eyes are fixed upon her Daddy. 100 percent content to be sitting knee to knee kinda close. She stares, she smiles. He loves her and she smiles some more. My heart swells big for the second time in 25 minutes. I feel her love as they exchange simple looks. They giggle and joke about nothing in particular. These real life Father-Daughter moments are rich, beautiful and definitely priceless. 
 


If asked she would tell you he could walk on water.
Oh sure no problem. All over Lake Oakdale he will show you.
In her little world her Daddy makes everything just right.  


 After an hour and a half we are all done. Even Drexel has had enough fishing. Having more fun playing with the remaining bait.
In and out of the bucket like only a seven year boy can do.  

At this point the casualty list is long.
We have accidentally
killed more fish than we have caught.   


Batting zero cause I guess seaweed doesn't count as a catch. Who made up that rule? So I suppose that size 12 boot I reeled in when I was 8 isn't a keeper either? Uuuggghh.

BD leans over to the co-pilot chair and explains that high noon on a South Carolina June day is NOT exactly the best time to go fishing.
I curl my lip and give him my best award winning
 indoor girl confused look.
Well, why did you say yes to Drex then?
He looks back past all the boat gear pile high in the van at the hot worn out happy kids. He smiles, winks and asks for a kiss.
Cause I knew you would somehow make the day right either way.
I'm sure I look at him the way Lala did only a short time ago on the boat. I too am happy to be living this life with him, knee to knee. My heart pounds fast and skips a beat, like on the very first day we met.
Of course you can have a kiss Captain.  
How can I resist a man in a Tinker Bell hat. A hat he found under one of the seats last minute. Not really his first choice in head wear but he gave his up to a kid who failed to remember theirs.
On him it looked just right.
Ok, I admit I may be blinded by love and stretching the truth on this one. I think I will buy him a  new hat for Fathers Day.    

Happy Fathers Day to my husband, best friend, #1 encourager, co-captain, lover, hero, first pick for a companion on a deserted island and Father to our children.
I love you more than double stuffed Oreos.

No comments:

Post a Comment