Friday, March 23, 2012

365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #106
March 17th, 2012
Last Day of Spring Season
GO PURPLE DRAGONS!(not in picture, Justice and Dylan)

Delaney helping Drex warm up for his last official game of the Spring season.
Separated at birth many moons ago. One twin was raised in Switzerland and the other in the United States. Two and a half years difference in their ages. I'm not fessing up to who is older.

Any one in the mood for a Willy Wonka chocolate bar.
Ooom PA ooom PA ooom PA di do!



Langdon


Ramini, AKA Ramen noodles. Not sure if the mom ever approved of that nick name or not.

Aria is one tough cookie. The youngest of five kids she never whines or complains when shoved to the ground.
Tanner and his super skillful feet.

Hilly Bill our Team whatever we need her for. Coming to cheer and show support whenever her college schedule allows it.


La La wanted in on this purple pink day hair for sure. Doesn't care about the soccer part but colored hairspray...oh yea.

Start of a new half, switch fields, shoot ball into other goal. Simple right? Drexel forgets and ALMOST scores for the other team. Whoops.


Ramen Noodles big break away. Followed by a really good, tough player on the other team.
No problem, fair is fair until the last picture of the 3. I feel justified having caught this dangerous play on my camera. Sweet Ramini who wouldn't hurt a fly gets taken out from behind. I turn to my left to watch the other volunteer coach. How was going to react?  I am confident he would pull that player out of the game and give him a talkin to for teaching purposes, after all that is why we are out here. To teach kids soccer, team building and sportsmanship. We don't even technically keep score for goodness sakes.
"Way to go, great play bud!" he shouts toward my fallen player.
Are you kidding me? I begin to walk the 10 to15 feet of grass and dirt that separates our team from his. Telling myself with every step of my comfortable Rainbows to remain calm. Too late. The hair on the back of my neck immediately stands at attention. Dylan and the coach have already had words by the time I could open my mouth. Oh this might get ugly. This 40 something year old soccer dad has clearly forgotten what is like to be a 17 year old man cub. At almost 18 these kids have enough testosterone to shoot a rocket ship to the moon....and back again. 
"Hey dude, can you just tell your players they can't slide tackle from behind?"
Why don't you just worry about your own players.

I am super positive this will come out sounding completely back woods
BUT
Excuse me coach, not a good idea. You mess with one Zybko you mess with us all.
No, of course I didn't actually say this out loud. Who do you think I am?
Luke and Bo Duke?
NO....BUT
I didn't have to utter a word, my personal German Shepard sees everthing unfold.
Dylan bows up and pushes his way between us. Uh oh, here comes the rocket ship.
 3....2...1 blast off.
My good ole momma bear side that really does stay dormant through most seasons, especially soccer season has been let out of her cave. Not in my nature to scream (in public) and set a poor example for any ones kid in earshot.
BUT
I'm not on my A game nor act like myself these days.
SO.....
 As if I have been woken up from hibernation to find someone has eaten my stash of S'more Pop tarts. I'm pretty ticked off. Not really sure of the exact words spoken but I loose my cool. I loose my usual loosey goosey, don't worry about it temper. I'm certain, even from the other side of the field I looked like one of those crazy soccer moms I generally as a rule don't sit by. The conversation continues back and forth for what seems like very long minutes. Not proud of myself I begin quietly shaking with internal irritation. Still frustrated and disappointed in myself even 17 minutes later with the blow of the final whistle.
Why am I fessing up about this altercation? Cause one day when I create a Team Zybko family book from these posts I want the stories to represent real life. A mom who wasn't by any means perfect. Not a super hero mom, just a real mom. A mom who did in fact make mistakes in public and in private. A simple mom who really does have a stash of sweets, including every type of Pop tart ever made.
BUT
Sorry my friend, there are just some things I will never confess.
Like where I actually hide them.



End of third quarter pep talk. 
Sideline hair salon.

Oh geez.

Thank you coach Nicole.

I can't think of anyone else I would want to end my ESAB soccer career with but you!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment