Saturday, February 11, 2012

365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO

DAY #94

FEBRUARY 11th, 2012

RAINBOW STYLE

11 years ago I had no idea what a "Rainbow" flip flop was. Not something you could find in Northern Virginia, 10 minutes outside of D.C. What I did know was that $45.19 was an insane price to pay for a pair of 'shoes' with out any laces. And how many months out of the stinkin' year could you wear them anyway? Nothing like my faithful Nike's which of course are multi seasonal.

Diane wanted a pair in fifth grade so badly she could taste the genuine leather strap.

All my friends have got some Mom.

Well honey, if everyone jumped off a.......blah blah blah.

and yes

I'm pretty sure I have used this expression before. Very convenient ya know. An easy one to keep in your back pocket labeled.

Overused Parental Retorts.

We did make her save for half the price.

See, there was a lesson learned.

That was then this is now. I'm a changed foot wear lady for sure. I have come a long way baby.

If for some odd reason I had 90 extra dollars floating around my checking account I would head right to Salty's, a local surf shop here in Florence.

I realize they aren't new at all, been out for years actually. Dressy yet comfortable Rainbows encrusted with 'real to me' diamonds. Who would have thunk? OK, so I would drive straight there, park my extra long prison van in the parking lot. The kinda cramped parking lot I sometimes have trouble reversing with out hitting an innocent cute surfer guy.

Sorry again Ashton, I hope your leg is healing nicely.

You are having a good hair day dude.

Hang ten!

(scratch the hang ten part, I'm so not cool enough to pull that off)

Back to me.

I have all the time in the world, no kids with me or to pick up anytime soon. No care in the world. Just me and my venti skim quad shot two pump extra hot no whip mocha. Oh wait, hold the phone, I want the whip cream, this is a totally made up story, calories don't count. Duh.

Casually strolling up and down the gazillion isles of neat, orderly expensive beach apparel. The little plastic hooky things that hold the shoes together, perfectly organized. Everyone one of them hooked the right way, like a question mark. Ahhhh, almost better than my Starbucks. Gives this veteran retail girl big time happy goose bumps. In the real world, where I actually buy my flops, as in The Target/ Walmart world I'm a true size 8 and half. In my dreamy Rainbow world I'm definitely a large. That's ok, don't ask questions people, I was simply NOT blessed with pretty feet.

Think Fred Flintstone meets Shrek.

I find the right pair. Or shall I say they found me, yes they almost jump into my arms. I put my coffee down, which is basically empty now anyway. I've been here a while. I sit my big ole soccer mom booty on the black leather bench seat with the cool slanted mirror at one end. Geez, I forgot again. I MEAN, I sit my Katherine Heigl high and tight young booty on the seat and brush off some leftover doughnut icing off my right thigh. Looking down at my feet, I fall in love. The diamonds are sparkly and new. Like Cinderella, a perfect fit. I take them up to the counter to pay. Handing the young kid behind the counter my debt card. I wait as he swipes the card for a second time. I think to myself I'm pretty sure I have underwear older than him. Swigging the last bit of cold coffee as he tries the worn out card for a third time.

Ma'am, your card is like, totally not going through.

Like my venti cup of joe, the dream is over, just like that.



1 comment:

  1. Awwwww.... well, at least you had a dream. Tell the gang to save their pennies and get them for you for Mommy's Day!

    ReplyDelete