Friday, April 13, 2012




365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY #116
SLOW DOWN AND PICK THE WILD FLOWERS
April 12th, 2012


Only a few more months in good ole Flo-Town. Under two months, about six weeks. The nitty gritty process of cancelling this and cancelling that has started. The boys graduate on June 2nd leaving us with no more official obligations or ties to actually hang around this cute little community all my kids call home. No major loose ends besides one, like selling the house. 
Other than that I mean.
I have finally arrived at a happy sentimental place, not by myself but just the fact its mentally time to be there.
It's go time.
 Time to boogie tah tah.
My hand firmly grasps the handle to the door marked
 FLORENCE SOUTH CAROLINA
The door that will close this wonderful chapter of my life....forever.
Some days I struggle, the door is hard to push, like a bin full of dirty laundry stuck in it's path. I find myself fighting with the sadness of leaving and the joy of new adventures that await us. Pushing, pulling and dressing myself with a smiley face from the inside out.
I'm riding on faith as I know God doesn't leave us hanging.
EVER
HE knows our plan. HE knows what's on the other side of the threshold. We don't. We aren't suppossed to.
We need to trust. 
Closing one door means opening another.
Right?   


So here I am celebrating all the LAST TIMES.
Last soccer game at ESAB.
Last co-op day.
Last Senior night at West Florence HS.
Last water class taught at McLeod.
LAST LAST LAST
A few more inches to go. The oily, creaky door still has room before it shuts.
So I allow myself to have fun with the remaining days. I'm generally a glass half full I mean a door half open kinda girl,not in my nature to be an E-ORE.
Still good times to be had and last minute memories to be made.
Just around the corner before I even know it, my mind and stories will be filled with
FIRST FIRST FIRST
 of everything about our new home town.

Wednesday morning, our last Meals on Wheels trip is scheduled. I've already called the lady to let her know. Shouting for the kids,
"Gunner to the car"
I grab my camera as we rush out of the house.
I may have my big girl, get over moving panties on but the trade off means I am a wee bit obsessed excited about documenting every last bit of life.

Drexel is my nature guy. Everyday of his life I promise you and no exaggeration here this boy has picked a weed, leaf, flower, berry or some sort of cool looking rock to give to me. A treasure for my pocket, bottom of my purse, van or on desperate moments shoved in my sweaty sports bra. I take that back, not the bra part but before the little outdoor collector was two years old he would put everything in his mouth, to eat. I don't know what sand feels like sliding down ones throat but he for some reason he liked it. Glad he finally out grew that weird stage.
YUCK.


This last trip around town delivering meals was by far my favorite route ever.
Drexel volunteered to be the jump out delivery guy. I like that. Great experience all the way around for the kids. Meeting, greeting and serving others. Yes, all good stuff and maybe just maybe I was happy to sit my big ole soccer mom hiney in the drivers seat at every stop. Well, I was the driver, navigator, photographer and don't forget cheerleader.  


My little man was proud to fill the roll and seemed to enjoy the smiles given by the elderly recipients.
The candy was a plus too. The candy I then explained why you shouldn't really eat.
In and out, out and in his little legs went in his 2 sizes too big
 hand-me-down Crocks.


Like his mother D-Rex is easily sidetracked by pretty colors, fluffy clouds, happy noises and you guessed it....wildflowers.

Can we stop and pick some today?
Maybe next time hun-ee.
Why?
We don't really have time.
It will only take a second, I promise I will be fast. 
Well, I don't even have my real camera with me.
All right :( 

I had run out of my very last excuse why we couldn't stop and pick these delightful treats scattered all over our travels.

 


We are determined to collect as many different types of flowers we can. Everything somehow morphs into a game and/or competition around here.
Pumped up, the kids scan the surrounding landscape.
Knee deep on a jacked up Zybko mission.

We find, we stop.
We find, we stop.
 We find, we stop. 
Safely parking along side railroad tracks, drive the van up steep curbs, swing into empty church parking lots and crowded construction zones.

Yes Mr. Cute Hard Hat Guy, we are fine!
Oh sure I can move the van in just a second.
We are picking wild flowers today.
Aren't they beautiful?

I'm pretty certain he didn't hear anything I shouted through my cheesy guilty grin and the roar of the busy loud tractors.
My rear view mirror comes in handy. A few seconds later I catch Bob the Builder simultaneously shaking his head and checking my plate #. I may have accidentally peeled a wheel as we left the scene of the crime. The huge holes in the bumpy dirt path were hard to avoid. No worries. The rocky ride created squeals of delight from the back seat.
Wee doggies! Super exhilarating!
Dust and baby rocks went flying!
I give myself a score, a solid 9.0!
It really was good work.
Not many people can brag about doing a full donut in a 15 passenger van. Thankfully the kids can all buckle themselves up these days.
No harm No foul.

 














 








No comments:

Post a Comment