Friday, April 27, 2012


365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY #125
APRIL 27th, 2012
MAKE-UP FOR MOTIVATION


I have to admit, poor Delilah hasn't gotten a ton of individual instruction this year. 
I have spent the majority of our first year of home schooling trying to figure it all out.
Figuring out how to squeeze it all in. 
Figuring out the best curriculum for each kid.
Figuring out what counts for school and what doesn't.
Figuring out how to have enough patience.
Figuring out what I can use as motivation.
Figuring out how NOT to freak out when students mis-behave.
AND 
Figuring out how on earth to get a 38 second, wash only the important parts newly enlisted Marine type shower.....
before noon.



I've been telling myself not to freak out if she is behind other 4 year olds. She has time to learn the basics....right? Some of our other kids weren't in real school at this age either. 
OK, breathe. So she still gets a tripped up with the exact spelling of her name. It is a long name ya know.

I'm not generally the compare kinda mom but this year as we come to a close I'm feeling a different sorta pressure than ever before.
How much have they learned?
How much have I taught them?
Did we do enough Science?
Did we do enough Health?
Oh, geez...It's all on me here.
Direct results are on my shoulders.
Blah Blah Blah. I could drive myself crazy. 

The older two finished up standardized testing this week.
Both said it wasn't too hard.
That doesn't carry much weight with me.
I remember thinking the same thoughts after taking the SAT'S roughly 800 hundred years ago.
Don't ask me my score either.
I won't ever confess....ever.
I'm going to my grave with that 3 digit #. Whoops I mean maybe 4 digit #. Hey don't judge, I had a learning disorder. OK, that may be a little bitty lie. I'm just saying, this thick bottomed soccer mom would much rather tell you her weight than the results from her past. Period. 


Delilah is motivated by make-up make-up and make-up. Mid afternoon make overs are one effective way to get her to learn a little sumpin' sumpin'. I remember Delaney's daily incentive involved a tub of cheese balls and Drexel, well I just let him jump off of stuff if he learned real good. Usually off limits, pretty high, maybe slightly dangerous stuff.
Looking back it doesn't seem to be great parenting.
Creative yes, great....not so much. Yikes, too late now.

This particular day my girly girl had her ammo all lined up. Weapon of choice, nail polish. A zillion hand me down colors in order of priority, preference and purrty-ness.

I tell her
Let's write your name first.
Alright mommy.

       D.....stick with a big belly
       E.....stick with a hat belt and a shoe
       L.....stick with shoe
       I.....stick with a hat and a shoe
       L.....another one of those other ones
       A.....party hat
       H....a stick a stick and a belt

       Z.....a hat a shoe and the sideways line
       Y.....the flower one
       B.....stick with two donuts
       K.....stick an arm and a leg kicking out
       O.....the one donut letter

Like I said, creative all right.
No worries we have time.
Later that is.
Now it's time for a promised manicure.   

1 comment:

  1. We totally talk about the letters and numbers like that. For instance a 3 is a "bump, bump". ;)

    ReplyDelete