Sunday, April 22, 2012


365 Random Days Of Team Zybko
Day #121
April 22, 2012
Get Your Brain On


One Tuesday on the way to voice lessons Delaney practice's her favorite new song. Apparently an extra long piece, lasting through 3 and a 1/2 stop lights, getting us all the way down Hoffmeyer Road. This is nothing new. As far back as I can remember she has been entertaining us during many a car rides, whether we ordered it or not. I get lucky today, her siblings are busy chewing on  peanut butter and honey sandwiches, mouths too sticky to complain. Whew, no arguments today. No need to enforce a commonly used driving rule called, Silent Car Yea. it's true, sometimes it's even too much noise for me. Her BIG voice fills the BIG van from window to window. A little Opera-ish for my taste but never the less still sounded pretty good to these big ole bias momma ears. Confident I can duplicate the notes, words and rhythm, I give it a try. 



A moment after completing the last chord I catch a glimpse of Drexel's one dimpled grin in the rear view mirror. It looks as if he loved it and was ready to tell me so.
Uuummmm, mom....
Yes bub.
No offense but that really didn't sound so great.
For a mili-second I contemplate debating with him but deep in my heart I knew I sounded like a dying racoon. Cause me.....the nature girl knows exactly what that sounds like. HA! 

Ya know what Drex, your right. God certainly did not give me the gift of singing and carrying a tune. That's OK, I'm happy HE gave me enough rhythm and the ability to count down from 8 backwards while moving. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to teach, which I love to do. 

At this point I'm feeling really good about my
After School Special kinda speech when the Hannah Montana wanna-b pipes up from the back row bench seat. It's a long distance from the windshield to her seat but I her her loud and clear anyway.

Yeah mom but isn't great I can do both pretty good?

Aye,aye....aye.
I launch into a speech about being humble but I'm pretty sure my words fell on deaf ears. I take a left and pull up the driveway coming to a stop to let my self elected superstar out of the van.
I twist my body all the way around to make sure she gets her blue voice folder before jumping out. 

Drexel starts to reply to his sister's previous comment but stops abruptly to lick the side of his arm. A trail of honey almost all the way down to his elbow.

Hey guys.....I don't want to bust your bubble or anything but I would rather be smart than be able to do either one of those things.

Delaney and I look at each other for moment before cracking up so hard spit flies onto the window and our sides ache.

The boy who really does love to learn about everything isn't laughing..... yet. Still too busy cleaning his forearm like a wild animal.
Yes Drex, we know....you are right.   













No comments:

Post a Comment