Saturday, May 17, 2014


The Secrets to Coaching U/6 Soccer
Day 361
May 17, 2014
Team Zybko



The Secret Break Down Of Coaching U/6 Soccer

3%-  Re-tying cleats roughly 829 times during the 60 minutes
5% - Set up a fool proof awesome snack schedule
18%- Encourage all players to try their hardest 
20%- Cultivate honorable team work and sportsmanship qualities 
6%- Understand stories through temporary toothless lisps
3%- Have extra water on hand
10%- Instill a love for the game
11%- Know that your plan "A" seldom works during practice
13%- Work on soccer skills
9%- Being prepared for any type of kid comment or question
Coach, your bum is bigger than my mommy's
I'm too hot and tired
I want to go see my mommy
I don't want to sit out
Can I play in the mud?
Is it snack time?
I have to potty
What is your name again?

An EXTRA 100% mentality to have fun while keeping them safe on your watch!



I seriously can't get enough of this team picture. I could smirk about the goings on and the expression my face for many long minutes, over and over again. In fact I already have but ya know I don't get out much.

This isn't the official U/6 YMCA picture posted on the photographers website or the 8 by 10 the many proud parents will soon receive for their family scrap book. Nope, it was captured as side moment, probably with a smart phone, in between the quest for the perfect team picture. This one sent to me via text from a momma on the team, it is better by far in my book. 

It was beyond sunny that hot afternoon as the kids tried desperately to keep their eyes from squinting and crying at the intense light. It was also the second time we had gathered that afternoon in front of the camera, allowing everyone to be in the snapshot. The kids were as good as they could be, really. Not only posing in orderly lines but throughout the entire 6 week soccer season. 

As a coach you are lucky when the moons align just right in youth sports and the greatest group of little tots are assigned to your roster for a brief period of time. That happened to me. These miniature players were such a joy

For many, this spring 2014 was their first season. I'm sure I will sound a bit ridiculous to admit that thought hadn't even crossed my mind until a young soccer mom mentioned happily after the last game. My son enjoyed his first season. Thank you.

First soccer season?! Really?! No way, oh yes way. After all, they are only 5 and 6 years old, duh. With La La being born on the soccer field and rounding out the bottom of 6 in a soccer family, I failed to properly register the significance of this first season for many of the families. I wouldn't have done anything differently though. I will say to the parents and this goofy bunch of silly toothless kids. Thank you for a great season.     


These shots below aren't exactly award winning. My stand in photographer had practice of her own during most of the season. Taken quickly without the viewfinder and clicked from the knee as I stood on the field directing. Better than nothing :)




























No comments:

Post a Comment