Friday, May 25, 2012



365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY #146
MAY 25, 2012
Cool Car, Even Cooler Stories.



Wonder when the last time the rubber wheels of this cool old Chevy hit the road. What I would do for a ride around town in this beaut. Cleaned up and in it's prime I'm positive she was a
real looker.
 I'm thinking the original owner parked it under here years and years ago. In realistic hopes to get it running again. Decades later it still sits, asleep under the aging carport. The carport covering he himself  built by hand, one tree trunk at a time. I suppose the local Lowe's was closed, not open on Sunday's in these parts. No expensive 2 by 4's bought for this project. He is an old school kinda carpenter. I don't know the people who live here. After passing it several times while visiting a friend I knew I had to get a picture. Last day we were there it was bright and sunny so I snapped a picture as we drove by and I steered with my knees.

Just kiddin' mom....
Drexel held the wheel steady for me.
He's better than you might expect.
  
 Looks like a popular year and make. Definitely the sorta trivia one should know off the top of ones head. Some days I barely remember my own password to Face Book so as far as knowing cool facts to impress people, well....I reckon I loose this round.
 I may not be Marisa Tomei's character in that 80's movie
"My Cousin Vinny"
 but I do know what I like when I see it.

An old couple somewhere have the stories and the memories that go along with this awesome shark fin car. I wish I knew them so I could probe their brain. How entertaining would that be on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I'd plop my big ole soccer mom rear end down in a chair, not to get up for hours. I would claim the cozy chair in the corner, bought circa 1967 with some seriously saved up cash. Interesting retro color, originally mauve and a little velour like. The hand stitched round doilies on each arm rests would scratch my elbows but definitely not distract me from listening and hanging on to every word.
The sweet tea offered in a mason jar would be the best I ever had. 3 fresh lemon slices and glasses later, I discreetly look around for the hidden bathroom. I need to pee. Bad. Time ticks by slowly  as I ignore my bladder, and my mother's wisdom. I hold it in, not wanting to miss out on a story.

Drive In's
Parades
Kisses in the back seat
Trips into town
Sunday drives
Packed picnic lunches
Bringing dinner to a sick friend
Unruly, unbuckled, un car-seated kids 
A too fast adolescent race down the country road
and
Ordinary every week food shopping
just to name a few.
   



Flash forward 50 years.
Wonder where my white prison van will be parked? The stories bored people might make up about our travels. Our fun, crazy and sometimes mundane family time inside.
Would anyone even want to take a picture of it? HA!
I hear Drexels old man raspy voice in my head as he explains to his grand kids.

See, back in the day kids, parents were crazy. Crazy enough to have more than one kid. Can you even imagine that van filled to the brim? Let me tell you some things about the olden days. Turn of the century I'm talking about here. I was just a little guy, I even had hair then. Grab a coke and pay attention to Grandpa Drexel now.
They were good times I tell you, good times.

One more burning question in the flash forward picture.
Did I ever save enough serious cash to have hot pink flames painted on the side. I guess I will never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment