Wednesday, May 30, 2012



365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
DAY # 149
MAY 30TH, 2012
ROAD TRIP READING


Kids are at a terrific age for long car trips. I have to admit I look forward to the quiet time. Feel as if I have won some sort of reading lottery. I sit quite contently on my big ole bum with a bag of chosen books and/or magazines. A stuffed small bag filled with reading material. Ahhhhh.....dreamy. I scratch off my ticket and I am an instant winner. Nice. I am awarded hours, not interrupted or consecutive mind you but never the less hours of quiet alone time in the co-pilot seat. My favorite person in the world only inches to the left of me. My hot cup of coffee even closer, steady and secure in the slightly dirty cup holder at hands reach. Baby Daddy is a great driver, I love how his big bear hands simultaneously hold the over sized steering wheel and our family steady. Mile after mile. Rain or shine. Day or night. 
Right on track.
Are you sure you don't want me to drive?
No, honey I'm fine.
You positive.
Yes.
OK, just let me know.
Alrighty.
I never push it and ask a third time. He knows I don't really mean it anyway. This short conversation will happen over and over on the rotation of about every 30 minutes. For now though I turn my head away and immediately dig into my carry on bag which I have placed strategically at my feet for easy access. Minutes tick by as fast as the mile markers on my right hand side.
Can't really remember the exact date of when we hit this glorious season of easy cheesy lemon squeezy driving time but I like it. I like it a lot! Maybe just maybe it coincided with the purchase of multiple Apple products and free gaming apps.
No diaper changing? Maybe
No clunky car seats? Maybe
No breast feeding? NO way.
  I'm proud to say breastfeeding was never a time sucker or pit stop along Interstate 95. For long journey's boobie night night never slowed us down. Like a proud decorated Veteran reliving his war stories I too am pretty excited and always ready to tell a good ole WHIP a NIP story. Yes, you heard me. WHIP a NIP. Advice and hands on useful parent stuff, the real life mom stuff you don't read about in baby books. To date it remains one of my favorite momma medals earned. If  your baby refuses to take a bottle in the car, call me I will give you all the necessary details. Although as you can imagine it is certainly not rocket science. 
I recently read somewhere it is actually legal in South Cackalacky to unhook your baby from his or her car seat to nurse.
Hmmmm...really?
That would have been some valuable information years ago. My strained, hunched over back and stretched out Ta Ta's surely would have voted for that law. Then again maybe not. Intense bonding occurred those meals on wheels feedings. Law or no law I wouldn't change a thing. Then I wouldn't have the honorable boobie award pinned to my veteran sash or the stories to go along with it.  


The book of choice in the front seat with me is a book filled with GODS WORDS. A hand me down student FCA Bible. Yes, I  totally love and need all the help I can get understanding what I have read. I certainly do not have a wealth of knowledge about the tribes, geography, people and customs back in the day. In that respect I am very much a still a beginner. I have yet to read the entire Bible. I have tried before, several years in a row I have written down on a fresh sheet of paper.
 New Years resolution.
READ BIBLE COVER TO COVER.
2009
2010
2011
 January one meant page one.
In the beginning.....
 Never have I succeeded. Often the culprit was various Bible studies, getting side tracked in a good way but I guess that's just another excuse. Reading daily over time turned into a chore and that's so not cool or the right way to treat this precious book. I suppose laziness and lack of understanding have been the real issue. Not this time. I'm reading through the Old Testament and this go around the words are sticking. Prophets and famous characters are talking to me. It's nice and refreshing a real heart opener. Maybe cause it just happened and it wasn't a mandatory box to check off on a big to-do list of life. Chugging along, little by little. Some days I get more time, other days maybe only 5 minutes. I take what I can get. Always a little bummed when it's time to close the book with 1348 pages, from beginning to end. Whew, I will get there, hopefully within the year. A homemade book mark currently holds my page. A Burger King receipt proudly shoved in between the thin white sheets. $24.45 spent for a family lunch. The Page # reads 288. I have made it all the way to 1 Samuel Chapter 22. 


The story of David and Goliath. A top ten greatest hits and probably the most well known stories of the Bible. Most people have heard of the young man bravely going up against that jacked up angry giant. I have even told it to my kids before, many times. Never having read the non watered down accounts of this long ago encounter between two warriors. So cool for me to finally read the actual straight up play by play, verse by verse on a grown up Bible. Well, in my recent travels through the history of the Old Testament, 1 Samuel Chapter 17 verses 41-47 are my new favorites. Between exits 116 and 124 I reread them over and over. Digesting every part of it slowly, making sure I really understand and wondering how to apply this to my life.



Read for yourself and tell me these ain't some powerful words.
Read it again if you don't get it.
Then when you do get it.
Read it again.
Some might not care for the gorey parts but seriously, it doesn't get much better than verse 45.
I COME AGAINST YOU IN THE NAME OF THE LORD ALMIGHTY. 
Those 11 words are sticking to my guts.

<>
Meanwhile, the Philistine, with his shield bearer in front of him, kept coming closer to David.
<>
 

He looked David over and saw that he was only a boy, ruddy and handsome, and he despised him.

He said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.


"Come here," he said, "and I'll give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!"

David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.


This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel.



All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."




No comments:

Post a Comment