Saturday, May 11, 2013

 

 Moms Are Super Heroes
 Day #20
May 12, 2013
Team Zybko
 
The year was 1979 and I was filled to the brim with imaginary super hero powers. Worn out, mismatched tubes socks which were ultimately destined for the trash bin were tied snugly around my sweaty wrists. No extra cash for an overpriced store bought costume. A tattered plastic trash bag cape wrapped around my chubby waist worked perfectly fine for me. In my tiny little world I was Wonder Woman, no questions asked. I fought evil in a super cool outfit, bare feet and a really bad bowl haircut. I'd run circles around my childhood home, tirelessly doing good for society, over and over again until my mom called me in for dinner. I may have looked crazy, I take that back, I am positive I looked crazy but the made-up superhero powers kept me smiling and energized until bedtime. Allowing me to tackle and conquer any problems that may trouble an 8 year old girl living in the suburbs. Bring it on. 
 

My sweet friend Crystal surprised me one day before Zumba, a small present, out of the blue, just for funzies. Wonder Woman socks, complete with small little capes that hang off the back side of each leg. What?! Are you freaking kidding me. I was so excited I could barely contain myself, kicking off my Nikes as fast as I could. Ripping off tags and slipping on the special socks over my no-show ankle socks, taking them for a test ride at once. Surely they would make dancing around studio 1 for 45 mins easier and more fun. Totally. Our workout flew by as my new mini capes bounced around during each 4 minute song. The funky side knee with a punch, roll roll roll roll pump and single single double double moves were fresh and full of life. As I wore the socks for the remainder of the day my head was filled with funny thoughts. Similar thoughts from more than 30 years ago. I may look crazy but the bright red, yellow, white and blue socks seemed to hold some sorta power. I was flying through my motherly duties and obligations with a content smile along the way. Thursdays are a busy day for us, stacked fuller than the other 6 days of the week. Here, there, here again and there there there again. Leaping from tops of buildings, fighting off stubborn thoughts and secretly hoping bedtime rolls around quickly. Stopping only long enough to re-juice with a hidden cold Diet Mt. Dew from the back fridge. Not this particular day. With the socks, in my tiny little world I was Wonder Woman once again. Bring it on.      
 

 
 
I just glanced at the clock at the bottom right hand corner of the monitor. 1:54am. Oh my word, way past my bedtime. My eyes are starting to fall down on their own and I am forgetting my closing point to this post. Oh yea, the energy, the worry, the love, the care, the work. Everything that goes into motherhood, everything we do and everything mother's before us have done. The hardest yet most rewarding job on the planet. What if each mother and I mean each type of mother, stepmothers, foster mothers, adoptive mothers and also women who don't fit in those titles but are called to mother others. What if we were all issued a cape. A special super hero mom cape to help us through the especially tough days.
Attach it on your hat, belt, purse or darn even your underwear, I don't care. A boost now and again wouldn't hurt. We would look crazy but we mothers would all know why. 
Not everyone would get it, that's OK.
We would know, it's a mom thing.
 
I better hit the hay, tomorrow will be rough with a few less hours sleep than normal. Whoa, wait a second, tomorrow is today already. It is officially Mother's Day. I may for the first time cash in that sleeping in card. Perfect day to use it up. Good news is I happen to know exactly where that sleeping late pass is.
Tucked safely in the waist band of my Wonder Woman costume.
 
Happy Mothers Day!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment