Friday, August 3, 2012


365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day # 193
August 3rd, 2012
Flash Back FREAKY Friday

Well, well, well look at these old gems. My sister in law miraculously got a hold of these, took time to make copies and threw em in the mail. Knowing exactly what my reaction would be when the surprise envelope was found happily waiting in my mailbox. Immediately overjoyed to open this piece of visual family history. I can't hold back a cheesy grin. Squinting my eyes first to digest every 70's detail then big old belly laughter followed by tears. I wasn't even aware we sent out yearly family Christmas cards, ever. What a treat to rewind back 40 years and hit pause. Look at that style. Whoa, old pictures should probably double as some sort of warning label before a couple considers procreating. Mystery solved to which gene pool the big head and ears came from in Team Zybko. Whoops, sorry honey I know I have always blamed you on that.
   
So many kids so close together. Everyday I am amazed how my parents fed us, got us where we needed to be, nurtured us, taught us and kept us as clean as they did.
Swim season may have been a slightly different story in the bath department but ya know chemicals back then were less Eco friendly and a tidy tad stronger. Yea, yea, yea  I'll go with that. Our clothes were handmade with love by a big city mommy who taught herself how to follow patterns and work her classic Singer sewing machine. I still have doll clothes she would experiment with first. Her inventive, famous to me trademark zip zag stitch is a classic in my hands. Big shocker here, our hair cuts were also homemade, bet ya couldn't have guessed that. I can't recall a bunch of toys in excess as we played for hours upon hours together in our basement toy room. Books, basic Lego's, blocks and puzzles. Period. The land of make believe, ball tag and tower building contests were common games. Play dates? Nope, not really. My siblings were my best friends and for the most part we got along. Truly. Our childhood together was as close to a Hallmark card as you could get minus the elevator music in the back round. Insert a John Denver Partridge Family Friday night sing along, now that was real life goodness around our house. I'm aware I run a big risk of annoying many who weren't as fortunate to have lived in a fun, happy big family love bubble. Not sure what to say about that to smooth those wrinkles out. Except the down is I have no experience or person to blame all the messed up stuff I do as a grown up. Bummer, I myself have to take all the credit there. I wouldn't change one single big thing or the tiniest of details about the way I was raised. I'm guessing without asking the other six interestingly dressed kids in this picture that they 100% feel the same way too. 
Thank you mom and dad. You rock. I love you both. A lot.
My intention in posting these old pictures was not to go down memory lane at all. I actually should be doing a million other things right now instead of typing away and ignoring the fact my children  woke up over an hour ago and might be hungry. I could be learning how to sew them ski pants for the cold Minnesota winter ahead. Reading a book to the last one who can't read yet. Cooking a healthy, yummy homemade breakfast. Packing a cooler for a picnic lunch later at the park after a bike ride.
 Nah...I'm thinking all that can wait.
We can even save some time by skipping the morning shower routine. Right now, I wanna sit here and stare at a few precious Kodak memories and fill myself up with inspiration. Inspiration to be a better parent today with patience and love on tap. A parent who creates real life Hallmark moments for my kids to remember for generations to come. I won't publish the names of my favorite brothers and sisters. I'd better ask first. Plus my mom would absolutely kill me and I don't want to make her mad. I need a replacement baby blanket sewn with a larger than life zig zag stitch. Call ya later Ma.

 Just know I love you all, a lot. And the many kids you are nurturing and teaching this very moment.
It's hard work but you do it well.
Great job, Hallmark should hire you.
I will cal them later too. 

Ok guys! Time is up with the TV kids. Turn off the Disney Channel on the next commercial and get your bathing suits on. It's time to get cleaned up for the day. Let's go make some memories with slightly better haircuts then when I grew up.







No comments:

Post a Comment