Sunday, November 4, 2012





365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #246
November 5th, 2012
Reaching the Top of Snowy Giants Ridge

Our hike up to the top of the ski mountain took almost as long as picking out and uploading my favorites for this post. This mini trek through the tundra was nothing like I have ever done before. I absolutely loved it.  As much as I complain about the cold weather, this flip flop wearing fool keep mumbling out loud how pretty and peaceful snow falling on your head could be. The fluffy white stuff looked good everywhere it landed. Can't remember whose idea it was to climb the mountain, not important.
The challenge was out there, no turning back now. 
Game on.
I left my snack pack at the bottom with the tired sleds, so 3 inch icicles and fresh snow kept us hydrated along the way. We all agreed it tasted a million times better than leftover tap water from a used Gatorade bottle. 
Although we were on a mission to reach the top, a casual pace was best for all parties involved. Shaking trees, carving hiking sticks and snow angels took precedence over any
type of goal for an Olympic time.
 That is....
until the animal tracks got bigger and more prevalent. Nothing says move your butt kids like the thought of wild animals lurking behind a snowy clump of trees. The only thing I dislike more than cold toes and freezing wind chills is the irrational thought of being eaten by hungry deer.  Yes, I realize deer don't eat meat, track with me, I said irrational. The first rational thought that did come to mind, I'm not as fast as I once was. With a few extra comfort food pounds, clunky waterproof boots and constricting snow pants, I'm slightly off my game in the speed department. I take another bite of my snow cone with no added flavor and quit worrying. Life isn't about rushing through adventures or day mares about a rare species of soccer mom eating deer.
 Relax. Breathe. Everything is going to be fine.

 OK, that's a straight up frozen lie. 
What my thought bubble actually said above my furry hat was...
I may be a little slower these days but
I'm confident I can still outrun the kids.    

















































No comments:

Post a Comment