Saturday, December 29, 2012



365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day # 283
December 29th, 2012
Leave A Trail of Cheer This Year

Last year Drexel was in charge of untangling the many, many strands of intertwined lights for the Christmas tree. We somehow over the years have acquired a Rubbermaid bin full of every color bulb imaginable.
It was a big chore. The then six year old loved this job and took it super seriously. He asked again this year to be the chosen one, getting them lit and ready was gonna make his day. Oh, sure buddy was my natural response but unfortunately we were unable to find that particular bin in the crowded storage unit. Drexel never does anything half way, I love his style seen in these pictures. Not only did he plug every single one of the 265 strands together, he also ran them through the entire house. It was BEAUTIFUL!
 I smiled big after he was done, enjoying the Christmas spirit room after room. A wonderful bright trail leading the way through the otherwise dark square footage. Even a year later I smile big from the inside out. We could all learn lesson from this.
To leave a trail of Christmas cheer all through the year is a wonderful gift.   



Over the past couple of years I have become a terrible Christmas gift giver. I haven't always been this way. My list of peeps was usually as long as any average American, from the mailman all the way down to every kids teacher. In my immediate family the siblings and spouses pick names, that's 2 gifts. How hard is that? Not at all, yet I still find myself dragging my feet every December. Sorry Andrea and Tommy your package is in the mail... well almost. Merry belated Christmas. Every since my trip to Haiti a few years I have battled some sort of newly developed hangup on mandatory gift giving. I don't want to sound ungrateful to those who do give. Honestly, I am very thankful when I receive a wonderful box of thoughtfulness bought with hard earned money but really I don't need a thing.
Materialistically speaking. 


  
 On the up side to thinking outside the box I have become a much better show some love through out the year gift giver. Spreading the holiday cheer to the other sometimes lonely 11 months.
It may not even cost a thing or a very minimal amount. A handwritten note, a friends favorite candy bar slipped in her purse, a warm hug to say hello, $5 coffee card or a simple text/call letting them know you are praying for them. These aren't extravagant by any means but to me are the greatest kinda gifts of all. Perhaps if I had a few more zero's in my checking it would be a different story. Who knows. For now though, it is what is is, that's my story and I am sticking to it!

Leave a trail of cheer this year.
Happy New Year!









No comments:

Post a Comment