Sunday, December 2, 2012



365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #272
Open to Close Skiing
December 1st, 2012 

 
We are all newbies to skiing except for Baby Daddy.
He was our tour guide Ken for the day, showing us the in's and out's of hitting the slopes.



The energy around the mini winter wonderland town is intoxicating. Experienced snow people hurrying to their slope de jour, buzzing with excitement, like 8am on Memorial Day at the beach. I am a self proclaimed expert on how to spend a successful day under the hot sand and enjoyable time in the surf. Lugging necessary items, squaring off the perfect spot of sand and even shaking off ones towel properly, yea...I could be an instructor for sure. Here though, opening day of ski season, I'm a big fat fish out of water.   


A tiny bit nervous about the lesson BD has prepared and organized for me. I'm figuring to be a spaz on ski's, spending more time on my rear end then up right. Plus, the people watching is pulling this nosey soccer mom in, one snow boarding at a time. It hurt my internal busy bodyness to put my camera away and suit up. I tell myself I will have plenty of time later, while sitting in the warm chalet, popping Tylenol and sipping an extra hot mocha.


The kids picked up pretty quickly, falling a minimal of times for first timersThe J-hook lift proved to more difficult to learn than turning and gliding down the beginner hill.


High Lights From The Day


Trying to walk in ski boots was similar and just as comical to me 
waltzing and strutting in 4 inch highs.  


 Delaney and Drexel enjoying this day for
 7 straight non-stop hours of first day skiing.


First and only time getting off the chair lift panicking big time, grabbing onto my petite instructor who managed to stay upright as I tangled Delaney up in my skis. To my surprise nobody laughed, they tell me this is normal. My old back and worn out knees tell me I should have already taken that pain reliever.


Beginner slope is closed, the view down instantly creates a fear of heights I never knew I had. Looking down the mountain as crazy people wizz by me at the speed of light I silently cry for my mommy. Delaney encourages me by going first. I am super proud of her as I struggle to get up for the 5th time. I'm glad she can't see me give up and crawl down the non busy side with my rented skis dragging behind me.   


During her lesson Delilah somehow does a 360 and stays up right.
 Or as she called it a "freak 60"


Reaching the bottom and un-hooking for the last time.
I will get back on the horse at some point. For now, inside looking out at the action is fine with me. 


My dreams of earlier come true. BD has reserved just the right table. Comfort pizza, an empty chair and a huge one sided mirrored window awaits me. Let the people watching being!


Fun quality hours spent with Delilah, potty breaks, Jet Pack Joyride competitions, tickle fights, spelling review through texting and a crazy iPhone video marathon til the battery runs dry. Dr. Spock would certainly be impressed. 


My favorite memory of the day, watching BD take a few quick trips down the hill with two of his babies. Unspoken medical issues prevent activities like this one from happening on a regular basis. Today it brought tears to my eyes, fogging up sunglasses. He probably wouldn't even like me writing about it. I will ask for forgiveness later. Right now as I type it makes me warm and fuzzy from head to toe. I am so thankful for this early Christmas miracle.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment