Friday, December 21, 2012

365 Random Days of Team Zybko
December 21st, 2012
Day #275
Elves in Da Hood



Growing up we didn't get our tree up until a few days before Christmas. This was normal, no biggie. None of this the crazy talk about Decking the Halls the day after Thanksgiving. Not really sure why back in the 80's we waited so long to get in the grove of the season, perhaps cheaper prices on the Charlie Brown tree selection or something to do with the Epiphany we Catholics like to celebrate on January 6th. As I type we still have no decorations jing, jing jingling around the house. Bah humbug. With the homestead up for sale I have to admit it really isn't even on my radar of to-do's. Hard enough to keep my head above water on the daily deal of keeping it "show ready". A trip to the storage unit the other day to find the ornaments and such was like a painful archaeological dig. The 20 by 20 smelly, cobwebbed room is packed with what I thought a year ago was "keep able stuff" we will need in the future. Besides the books and photo albums I could have cared less about seeing any of this stuff again. So glad we have spent so much money keeping it all hostage for a year.

Sorry Delilah, we have no money left in your college fund. Would you like to play with baby dolls from your childhood or look through your cute finger painting pictures mommy kept instead?

Having too much unnecessary junk in our lives was not the intention of this post. This cute little hooded elf on the shelf who kicks me in the butt every year to get my list done is! Diane lives in the Christmas spirit all year long, she loves getting and doing for others. The oldest of the family has enjoyed being chief Santa as long as I can remember, can't say I have wrapped a present in years. Well, I didn't really ask for a meeting with the head elf this morning but I got a good ole kick in the rear anyway. I was quietly sipping my strong coffee in my favorite room, minding my own biz-nass when the general plunked down beside me. I was briefed against my will.....3 more shopping days.....blah blah blah....you aren't in the spirit....blah blah blah....OK I get it. I grab a sharpie and an envelope from a friend who actual sent Christmas cards out already. The blank side of the used paper filled up quickly. A lit star appeared above my head.
Geez, I really haven't done a thing have I?
 Well I have written a list now....that's a start. 
Thanks Diane, there will be a little extra suppin' suppin' in your stockings this year....as long as you pick it while you are out today.
 Check the storage unit first though.
I am so not against re-gifting.              

No comments:

Post a Comment