Friday, January 4, 2013


365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #288
January 4th, 2013
32 Degees....No Problem
After slipping out of my warm pajamas in the dark cozy bedroom I sneak out of the house just a few minutes before 6:00. Dressing in black from head to toe is the way to go, ensuring a matching outfit every time and of course slimming purposes will then be forced on my side. Tip toe-ing to the door I grab my sturdy Minnesota mug with my right hand and push the dimly lit garage button with my left. The huge metal door seems extra loud and cranky, perhaps a bit irritated I woke it up and made it work so early on this chilly weekday morning. One more check on the sleeping babies, eveyone is good, warm and snug, wrapped up in several homemade Grandma blankets. I linger for a few seconds, lifting each one of them up with a simple one line prayer. They look so angelic and peaceful. I wonder to myself what kinda childhood dreams are currently floating around in their over sized Zybko heads.
Each week as I shimmy to the door I notice the over whelming, glorious sound of nothing. Complete silence. The house is on lock down mode. N I C E. I feel slightly pulled to stay and enjoy but I really do love teaching Friday 6:15am Zumba so I quicken my pace. No time to sit, not a minute to spare, the routine is already set in place. Keep moving I tell myself.

A blast of frozen, foggy air smacks me in the face as I jump into the prison van. The windshield has a frosty, glazed over look I wasn't prepared for. Bummer, this may take a few minutes before I can safely reverse out of the driveway. Where did 32 degrees come from? I guess it is January. Since moving back from Northern Minnesota I rarely check the local weather. What's the point? Anything above 0 degrees is a treat.

During the short drive to the gym I mentally prepare for class, choosing a warm up song and reviewing the moves to my favorite playlists I somehow tend to forget. I slowly being to wake up. My sleepy eyeballs feel better by the minute as I single, single, double, double my way down the un-crowded streets of Flo-Town. With the defrost blasting over my iPhone, the huge windshield is finally 100 percent clear as I swing into my favorite spot in the back parking lot.

One more swig of coffee before I lock up my soccer mom Cadillac. Let's do this thang people. You peeled yourself out of bed for this. Whoop whoop. It's go time! Skipping my way through to the entrance in the fresh morning air I notice something a bit strange. I'm not cold. I'm not cold. I can't believe it. Not at all. I don't feel the need for a scarf, gloves or expensive warmers. What is happening? My blood has thickened. 32 degrees used to be cold to me. Hah! I have beaten the system. Yes, 32 is the new 52!
Thank you Northern Minnesota.  

No comments:

Post a Comment