Friday, October 18, 2013



Spiritual Growth
and
Heart High Waters
Day 166
October 18, 2013
Team Zybko

The simple bushes planted along both sides of the sidewalk leading to our van are there for a purpose. They make the otherwise plain, grey cement and brick walls come to life, covering the boring and drab, replacing with color and life. Our apartment people obviously haven't had a chance or gotten around to trimming them lately and the new growth is a fresh green color. So apparent and eye catching, even to this girl with 2 black thumbs. I kinda hope they keep it this way, it reminds me of the verses below. Verses written with love by a fiend of mine when we moved, I haphazardly shoved the note in my Bible. The small stationary card seems to fall out every time I open my big green book of God's Word, falling right on the floor by my feet. Like Ground Hog Day, it slips out, I read it, I shove it back in. Rinse, lather, repeat. 



Shuffling the kids out to parking lot one morning the new leaves looked particularly pretty with clinging droplets of water from an overnight rain. It reminded me of the passage in Jeremiah and got me to thinking.





How obvious is my new growth to others? 
It is bearing fruit?
 Is it vibrant and beautiful?
Am I giving my heart enough living water with faithful time in prayer and His Word?  
My mind was spinning with deep questions despite the fact it was only 7:22am and I was about to go out in public with pajama pants on. Side note; Again, I thank you Lord for strong, black coffee.   




My heavy thoughts must have inadvertently slowed me down because Delaney reminds me in a motherly voice, if we don't hurry along she will be late for school. I swallow my answer in my brain, choking my smarty pants response. Forcefully stopping the sarcasm dead in its tracks, it was too early in the day to wake him up. I tell Drexel to jump off the brick wall and hop in the van. His pants are crazy short, like.... doesn't get out enough short.....let me just say it.....home school short. Ha! I stare at his bare ankles as he flies through the air. His physical growth is evident, no stopping it, he will be as tall as me before I know it. Then it hits me, hits me hard like the tiny berries accurately thrown at my head by my wide awake, happy 8 year old boy. High waters, yes, high waters. That's the ticket. I quickly imagine my soccer mom spiritual pants. I am confident they look better than my home school mom jeans and also confident God makes everything look better anyway.
 Has my heart outgrown my pants. Lord, I pray so.
Heart High Waters! 
I pick up the scattered berries off the sidewalk and retaliate with a smile on face and the light bulb still on above my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment