Tuesday, October 29, 2013


The Tree
A Poem By Mother and Son
Day 178
October 29, 2013
Team Zybko




The Tree
I spotted the perfect tree today
I was positive for sure it was destiny
perhaps it was planted just for me
I said, Mom! Mom! Can we go see?
I have to climb it.
PLEASE....PLEASE....PLEASE


When we got there, it was bigger than I had originally thought
almost reaching and touching the bright blue sky
it was way taller than daddy, bigger than a house
looking up at it's glory I felt as small as a mouse

No problem, no way, I can't back out now
considered a challenge for any little boy
I will do it, I had to, I could just feel it
it was my tree to climb, it will be a joy 


Brave and strong nothing could stop me
taking my time as I started on up
Breath....Breath....Breath
slowly I climbed not in a rush 
carefully seeking foot holes for my Nikes to hide
You can do it Buddy! I hear from below

My mom thinks I can, she helps build me up
by far, hands down my biggest fan
its tiny branches catch me off guard
baby thorns got me bad, scratching hard on my back

Determined and focused I don't back off
by far better than school, my day is looking up
I breath, I step, I shimmy and hold
before I know it I have reached the tippy top


My moms now nervous her cheering is gone
That's good Drex! No more, that's far enough
ok mom, all-righty, whatever you say
don't tell her but I totally agree
I was high as a kite, time to come down
back to real life with my fears on the ground

I'll finish it off with a trick just for her
the least I can go, ya know give her a show
what can I do, what is my plan
the finale should be spectacular, perfect and grand
swing like a monkey, yea that's the way to go
one handed and silly to bringing it to a close



For the first few seconds all goes well
until my dirty sweaty boy hands and fingers let go
my grip is pretty iffy as I fear the worst
my mom doesn't like it she may have just cursed

No problems, no worries, no broken bones here
alternating hands and switching gears
using my abs and the strength I have left
tucking my knees to prepare for the rest


With the wind on my face as I fly to the ground
I think to myself......how could life get any better than this
DOWN.....DOWN.....DOWN 
a few seconds later all is ok
my feet are flat on the soft green grass

No medal or money as a prize do I win
only a big fat smile received with a grin
plus a momma bear hug and some encouraging words

GREAT JOB, I'M PROUD OF YOU SON
thanks mom I love you....can I do it again?


No comments:

Post a Comment