Wednesday, October 17, 2012


365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #230
October 17th, 2012
D Y L A N as in BOB DYLAN
Who would be excited about standing at the corner of 7th Street and DuPont in a small city in Northern Minnesota?
Me Me Me! Yes, pick me.
I would be excited!
Whoo hoo!

Never ever ever in all the hours I spent listening to Bob Dylan as a teenager could I dream up I would one day be standing in the front yard of his childhood home. Oh, I had heard of Hibbing, MN way back in 1989, well actually it was more like just a town printed on  page 14. Somewhere in chapter one as I eagerly read the famous, off beat musicians biography instead of studying my college books.
Many hours of that decade were spent flipping over my favorite home made tape of Blood on the Tracks. 
The water resistant rubber buttons on my yellow Sony Sport Walkman could have worked on auto pilot.  
At one point I knew every single nonsensical word and story ever sung by my favorite raspy, harmonica playing, folk icon.

I sat my monkey on a log and ordered him to do the dog.
He shook his head and wagged his tail and went and did the cat instead. He's a weird monkey. Really funky.  

Good stuff for sure. Not for everyone I know. Ya either totally dig Bob Dylan or you seriously don't. Baby Daddy equates listening to his songs somewhere between nails on the chalk board and popping a balloon an inch from ones face. I respect his opinion. I simply listen while plugged up or wait til he isn't around.
It hasn't hurt our relationship any.

The name Dylan exploded with popularity in the 90's and still hangs around on the top lists in some parts. When Dylan was given his name I stiffly ignored the "other" possible spellings of this trendy name. As far as I was concerned there is only one way it should be written. The Bob Dylan way. Over the years I became more and more snotty about it. Ironically moving a mere 30 minutes from a small town in South Carolina named Dillon.
Ugh.

Um, how do you spell that Ma'am?
  Asks the 18 year old clerk.

Like Bob Dylan of course.

{Blank stare}

You know who Bob Dylan is right?

{Blank stare}

Um. OK. Never mind. It's D Y L A N 
Ugh.  

I mean HELLO.....doesn't every dedicated loving mother name their children after a doped up drunk rock stars.       



No comments:

Post a Comment