Monday, September 23, 2013




My West Point Wingmen
Day 144
September 23, 2013
Team Zybko

So my wing men aren't actually men, that's ok. I have also watched Top Gun like 400 times too many in my life to use the term wingman incorrectly but it's the first thing that popped in my head.
Who's looking out for you?
Your wing man.
Who's thinking about what you need?
Your wing man.
Who sends you pictures of your favorite cheerleader when you can't be there?
Yes, your wing man.


Not the best post I've ever written but sometimes happiness numbs the brain, stumping any creative flow dead in in it's tracks. That's ok, this message doesn't need added fluff, it is what is it. They are who they are. Really good wingmen.

While folding laundry this past Saturday morning my phone buzzes, it's a picture text from my niece. Trisha is a recent West Point grad and former Rabble Rouser herself, she has gone back for a visit and to watch the football game. Awww, cousins, they look so cute, I unconsciously say out loud, as if my cracked iPhone screen was listening. The unexpected phone love got me smiling big despite the rainy weather and desire for a nap. The rest of the sock pile and dirty underwear loads seemed to fly by after that. 

A few hours later I check my Face Book to find another picture of Dylan whooping it up on the side lines of Mitchie Stadium. Sent from Dylan's Plebe year sponsor, a sweet lady I have never even met, regardless of that, she is looking out kindly for other mommas. Thank you Cathy, I look forward to meeting you one day. Trisha taught one Cathy's kids in Sunday school for a few years. Small wingman world.


My dear friend from Florence whom I have actually met and have had the privilege to spend time with is always looking out for others. While up at WP a few weeks ago with her family she took the time to take Dylan out to dinner. She didn't have to but she did. The home town friendly conversation and non chow hall food was much appreciated. Kelly graduated with the above Cathy in the same West Point Class, I won't reveal the year, just in case the whole age thing matters to them. I am smarter than I look, they both have enough military training in their background to kill me with a single punch. Bam, soccer mom down! 

Thank you also to my other wingmen not mentioned here. You know who you are. This homesick momma for her 3 oldest birds who have already left the nest couldn't ask for any better back up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment