Saturday, July 7, 2012


                                       365 RANDOM DAYS OF TEAM ZYBKO
                                        DAY# 174
                                  JULY 1ST, 2012
                                                                    SIDE-TRACTION





So here we are, only slightly over 2 hours into our drive or some would say journey to Minnesota, when one of the kids hollas from the back seat.

WHAT IS THAT? OH MY GOSH MOM!

 In a super inquisitive somewhat freaked out voice. Not too freaked out that I look up from my lap. I've already settled into the day ahead. 11 or so hours minus 2 hours......ok, we can so do this thang. On the road again.

I'm super content catching up with texts and checking emails on my smarty pants phone. So the question from a few feet behind me catches me of guard just a bit. From the tone of the kid I think someone has spotted a booger or something and a fight is about to break out. Not really into being a referee at the moment I do what any good mother would do while waiting for a video from YouTube to upload. I ignore it, hoping the problem might be worked out in a civilized manner. I was wrong. The voice didn't go away nor did the problem have to do with a slimy substance from another kids nose. I am now committed to turning my stiff neck around to fight my eyes through the natural police barricade of all the stuff packed in the van.

MOM...WHOA....WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT?

I look quickly at Baby Daddy. Are they talking about the mountains ahead? I'm afraid so he answers. The younger kids have never been in the mountains of North Carolina before.

Yikes, I suppose soccer games, work obligations and trips to the beach have hindered that experience for them. Mountains are so beautiful so we both feel pretty bad about creating this tiny crater in the kids childhood. BD whispers loudly over the GPS lady, she relentlessly keeps instructing us to take a U-turn for re-routing purposes. I nod my head to his surprise idea for the little ones.The off button is pushed and held. We are re-routing, not back on the high way but on our first side-traction of the trip. Our beach bum kids are about to get up close and personal to their first mountain and gem mine. I throw all electronics into my purse, making a mental U-turn and getting back onto the mommy track. These sorta side-tractions are exactly the way we wanted this long trip to play out. Let's go find some jewels people!   



It's hot and sunny around lunchtime, as we enter the dark store our eyes take a minute to adjust. Once they do we are all in awe. It didn't matter to any of us the place wasn't air conditioned. Filled with rare minerals, Nick knacks, shark teeth and 100 year old books. I could get lost in a place like this, Not really interested in buying a single thing just to look. I don't know anything about antiques, I wouldn't even recognize a fair prize or original if it hit me over  the head. I have watched that show Pickers and Antique Roadshow a coupe times, maybe that would help.

 


I wander around by myself while BD buys a large bucket for the kids to shift and dig through.
I call to Drexel who is submerged in his element. He feels right at home doing these cool learning, outdoor field trips. He seems a little annoyed at me I have interrupted him for a picture. Just make a nice face bud, I have waited 7 years to get a saved image of you in a Davey Crockett raccoon hat. I thank him as he runs back to find Daddy. As it turns out this is the goofiest picture of him in 7 years. Oh well.  












We make our way outside past the dinosaur poop, snake skins and high priced mirrors. Keep going guys, please don't touch anything. Cooler air from outside greets us before the kids begin. Not really sure how that is possible considering the numbers on the dash of the van read 103 before getting out at the last pee break.




















I take back my earlier comment...this now marks Drexel's goofiest picture. I had to include it anyway, as you can clearly see his excitement from his first find of the day. Unfortunately it appears to look the same as the parking lot gravel still stuck in my shoe.


                            Delaney is on a mission.
There is gold in dem hills she kept chanting over and over again.



LaLa is happy with just being close to daddy.   
Me too LaLa. Me too.

L




The cute kid behind the counter took special time and patience to explain in detail eveything they found. Pretty sure he was the owners son, love that. Also made me miss our own teenagers now 150 miles away in the other direction. 


We grab a sugary shaved ice on the way out. Not too overpriced. We aren't in a big city no more. The boys seem to think cooling of in the fountain is kosher in these part too. No one cared one bit. 



On the road agian.
 Trying to get to Louisville before their evening bedtime.Unless we get side-tracked again.



No comments:

Post a Comment