Friday, July 13, 2012



365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day #183
July 13th, 2012
Kids Say the Darnedest Things

Usually when a parent retells a CUTE story about a conversation they had with one of their precious off spring, the one held captive smiles politely and moves on with their day. When you are the parent it is always funnier and more adorable to you than to anyone else. Human nature I suppose. What do you do with this funny to mostly only you stuff? You may deposit it promptly into your aging memory bank, tuck it away in a scrap book or turn it into a quick laugh on the soccer field side line. I seem to forget these kinda things fast lately, faster than I go through a hidden gallon of Bryers ice cream. So I make sure to document a few....or a few too manyYa know for the kids and future reference for their senior page in the yearbook of 2024. Or maybe just maybe I couldn't bear to waste these pictures of the 3 youngest ones. Half an empty nest is a whacked out place to be for this momma. It's different. Really different. I'm adjusting though, everything is going to be fine. A process and changing of hats that's all. Each day is better a little easier so don' t worry I'm not gonna cry my eyes out on this post. I am smiling instead. I'm smiling as the mom that can't get enough of these juicy cheeks, goofy poses and poked out ears that may or may not improve with age. As for the crowded teeth, Diane you are in charge of those. Hurry up and graduate so I can get a discount on braces. I even smile at the expensive bucky beaver teeth. Fixing those are a few years down the road. For now my nest is still half full NOT half empty. One day I won't even really need a nest. So excuse me as I laugh again at the ridiculous things my kids say. I can't stay around I have important things to cross off and do. I have a lot more smiling to do.  




While traveling many miles to our current temporary residence the hours, minutes and seconds dragged by.
Especially to a four year old.
 Delilah had a hard time containing her excitement about the trip.
Are we to Minnesota yet?
 Are we almost there?
How much longer?
 Huh? Huh? Huh?
La La. It will be a while longer and just so you know two more days of travel.
What? What do you mean?
We will drive through 4 more states before we get there.
Really?
Yes honey, the next state we are going to
drive through is Kentucky. 
Whoo hoo, that is great mommy.
Why?
I'm hungry and I love that kinda chicken.  


Drexel is the kid that touches everything. Every single bit of anything as we walk along. As we hustle to our nest destination he lags behind bringing up the rear....always...100% of the time. Stopping to pick a flower, throw a rock or climb up something....anything at all. Leaving our new library the other day he once again is holding up the pack. He has stopped just outside the front door, the rest of us hadn't gotten very far. I turn around to see him holding an old rusty metal chain attached to the 100 year old building.
Mom, come here.
I answer ..What honey? ..with no intention of back tracking.
You have to see this.
What it is?
You neeeeeeed to come here and see it. Seriously.
I roll my internal set of eyes as this the 236th time we have had his conversation today. 
Alright....coming bud. 
You know what they used this chain for in the olden days?
Having been saturated all week with Minnesota facts and historical dates, I think to myself this is going to be good.
The old Min ah sodians used to lock their wild beasts up right here. They weren't allowed to bring the moose they rode up into the library. Not enough room I guess



The kids were really good the first Mass we attended at our new Church this past Sunday. Not an unnecessary peep out of any of them. 50 minutes into the service as the priest was preparing the Eucharist and the congregation said final prayers before receiving the Body of Christ, Delaney leans toward me.
Looking a bit uncharacteristically panicked she said;
Mom, I don't know how to do it here.
What? Do what?
I don't know what to say when I go up?
Huh?
Do they say Amen here in Minnesota too?  


No comments:

Post a Comment