Sunday, July 15, 2012





365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day # 184
July 14th, 2012
Kayaking and Good Parenting





Little man was the first one ready and out the door when we suggested we try out kayaking. Picking up family gear and oddly helping other kids with sunscreen. Doing anything necessary to facilitate the get there process, he was more than ready to go. It made no difference to Drexel he hadn't even tried this strenuous paddle sport before. To him it was the perfect recipe. An all around outdoor adventure, this 7 year old boy had been waiting for his whole life. Mix together water, balance, beautiful sunshine, rock throwing and and stick finding. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until his parents fall over from exhaustion. Let stand and rest a few short minutes. Ice the adventure after cooling with a little get completely soaked by accidentally falling in, hanging on big sisters kayak to make her panic and overreact just a bit. Serve warm or cold with an ample amount of 100 percent positively going to get feet dirty and viola! Award winning Cake Boss material for sure.










The kids got used to the feel of their kayaks and how to propel and turn using the paddle pretty quickly. Within 15 minutes they could have taken off together to the island midway across the lake BUT for some reason or the reason of them being big chicken bogs neither one got more than 10 feet away from me or Baby Daddy. A huge Minnesota lake filled with the most perfect water and what we had was a clumped up 4 boat mass. To the locals, well really to anyone I'm sure we looked a bit ridiculous. Think U/6 soccer, that's how good we were. Delaney kept bumping into one kayak after another like a champion bumper car girl. Splashing and somewhat freaking out about what lurked below the dark waters. We were NOT getting very far or making good time, in fact with the current we were actually going backwards.





Something had to be done, even though we weren't in a hurry or on a time budget at all, something had to give. We set our eyes on the closest shore line and set a challenge. Create a friendly sibling contest with the reward of left over candy that took up residency in my backpack cooler. Not my favorites, not one bit of chocolate so I was willing to use them as a motivator. Mini Tootsie rolls, Nerds and individually wrapped Twizzlers. Nothing at all I would walk across the street or even a Minnesota lake to eat. As the ref and holder of the bag of treats I hype the yumminess up anyway.
K, guys....you ready? 



Drexel who is 3 years Delaney's junior had a big lead.
C'mon Delaney you can do it.
You can catch up with your little brother.
Don't let him beat you.
No I can't mom, wait for me.
Wait for me people.
You better hurry or he will have the first pick of candy.
My strong as an ox 10 year stops paddling.
Oh this is going to be harder than I thought.
I don't even want that candy, I give up.
Uh oh no giving up here. I know she would rather have chips any old day but out here I have none so I use a different technique.
Delaney! Quick! Start moving and catch up or that dolphin I just saw will even beat you.
 

No people that isn't a form a child abuse. Afterall I did choose an animal that would no way, totally impossible to be in these waters with us. A friendly, talk to humans let us ride them at Sea World animal not a sharped tooth hungry shark or anything.  Geessshhh. What kind mother do you think I am? Ok, I will admit a Great White was of course was my first thought.My arms were already feeling it and I didn't want to have her on my lap in my kayak the rest of the trip so I quickly switched gears. 



A some twenty minutes later we reach our resting spot amongst the lily pads and spotty shade.
Knowing exactly where the kids get their chicken bog genes from I take pictures to busy my mind. My thoughts somehow find their way back to the slimy blanket of nature only a hands reach away. If for some reason I fell over I would need Lake Therapy to get me back out on any lake again. I show no fear as I talk non chalantly about the beautiful colors and textures were all around us.
I wonder what animals like this sorta dark murky spot?
Good fishin' I bet, huh Daddy?  


I was sweating under my life jacket pretty bad by now.
A great upper body, mental and core workout.



Drexel snaps me out of my funk.
Mom, when we get back do you wanna go swimming with us.
 The water feels great. Not too cold, even for you.




Uh, I don't know Drex.
 Do you think there may be sharks in here?

No comments:

Post a Comment