Sunday, July 22, 2012





365 Random Days of Team Zybko
Day # 187
July 20th, 2012
Put A Bev Nap Cheat Sheet In Your Pocket 


I have snuck away outside to the front porch. Hiding in a cheap, green faded patio chair for few quiet moments. Just God, some favorite verses, the morning sunshine and my cold weather shark pajamas. I consider this time essential, a necessary gearing up for the long day a head with multiple little ones beneath my feet. Like a meeting with your boss at the beginning of a shift, getting you on track to how the day is gonna play out.

Victoria, I hope you wore your most comfortable Nikes, you will be using them for sure the next 12 hours non stop. Here is the deal. The Sysco truck never rolled in so 86 the grilled chicken special, up sell to the grilled Mahi Mahi instead the tourists will totally jump on it. The new sous chef cremated a huge batch of alfredo, back of the house will be stretching it so keep that in mind if the early birds are flip flopping from that sauce to the marina and back. Tell em alfredo will be a special deal tomorrow...hmmmm let's say...for seniors only. Yes, perfect. We are booked with 3 12's so turn and burn zone 9 with a southern smile when you inevitable hit the weeds at noon. Don't panic. WE can do this thang. K? I will be CSM-ing to help you out so nothing to worry bout. I'm here if you need me. Have a question about anything just holla. Oh and we are a man down with a no show so you may need to self serve to expedite the house salad sides. Keep the orders tight and timely we can't really afford extra comps this week.
 Any questions?
 Uh, no. Think I got it.
 Ok, good. I'm depending on you. You are one of my best servers.
Thank you sir, I always try my best.
One more thing Vic. Good news though. The geek squad got the new touch screen system up and running. It will make dropping checks that much faster. The only thing to that is all 4 billion 2 hundred menu items now have new codes. Forget any number combination you may have memorized and worked with the last 20 years while working here.
Victoria? Are you alright?
Sir, uh....I'm not really that great with computers. In fact I'm really awful. Can barely work my family blog site ya know.
Poo, I have 100% confidence in you.
The new way won't trip you up at all.
I'm not sure I'm feeling too well. Feel my head, am I hot? Clammy? Do I look a little pale to you?
Breathe....1,2,3....
Here are 2 bev naps, no make that 4. This one is a cheat sheet for the new codes to get you through til you get the hang of it. The others....well, please wipe your face with them.
Geesh, customers really don't want you sweating in their food.
Like I said, I will be here all day if you need help.
I promise.
OK GOD if you say so.
You have never let me down before.

5 minute chats with your boss are beneficial and comforting.
No matter what field or line of work you are in. 
  

Delaney picked up this Catholic Daily Devotional booklet the other Sunday. I love these and my Delaney for getting me one as I made a quick 4 year old potty stop after Mass. 
La La....you really can't wait til we get home? We live like 5 minutes from here.
No mommy.


Look at the cover mom, reminds me of the trails we have been on.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. It's the perfect size for my cargo pant pocket, just slightly larger than a bev nap.
Bev nap? What's that mom?
Never mind honey. Thank you for thinking of me. I'm gonna read some on the short ride back home. Can't wait.



The mornings are super peaceful where we are in Northern Minnesota. The breeze on the 2nd floor deck seems specially ordered and quite heavenly. My eyes wander from the words in my lap to the brightening horizon just above the line of beautiful pine trees. Never in my life would I have thought I'd say pine trees are beautiful but in this setting, everything is picture perfect. A summer camp dream land, Disneyland to be specific. 
The 2 medium sized paragraphs for July 6th have my thoughts at a stand still. Not reading the actual day devotion, I am a few weeks behind but who cares what it says at the top of the page. Good thing God's word never goes stale. Stays fresh everyday all day in every season. Sealed up tightly with a clip or kept in the fridge.
No expiration date. Genius.
 Reading over and over again how this mother choose "hugs" not "harsh" during a meltdown of one of her off spring. Extending grace like our Heavenly Father even though her child's behavior certainly didn't warrant it. Parenting is a delicate balance. "Harsh" is important to set rules and standards but so is "Hugs" to create a loving high self worth relationship. Do I get it right?
 Sometimes but definitely with out a doubt never all the time with every kid in every season.
This particular season has been tough on the entire family
not just me.
  
My time is up in the Word. I hear the restless troops a mere 10 feet away through the thick apartment wall. What on earth could they be arguing about so early in the day. 

Oh Lord, thank you for your guidance and softening my heart this morning. Giving me the strength to open the glass door with a smile on my face even though from the sound of it they don't deserve a smile. At all.
I unhappily gather my things and continue to pray out loud even as I enter the living room. The kids stop dead in their tracks with deer in the headlight looks. I grin from ear to ear. Delaney shifts from one foot to the other getting increasingly nervous. Mom's gone crazy. Surely we are going to get in trouble for acting bad enough she came inside.
 A few more quick loudly spoken words to baby Jesus as I stare off in to the corner of the room. 
Mom?
Yes dear?
Are you mad?
I reach for my pocket with my free hand. Through the soft cotton material I feel the hard edges of my new little book. I somehow see the recently read words scroll across my brain.
"Hugs" not "Harsh"
I let go of the of the bev nap cheat sheet given to me by my boss and take hold of my kiddies with loving arms.
No, I'm not mad. Let's all sit down and talk about this crazy Minnesota season and how hard it's been on you little ones.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment