Monday, June 10, 2013

Happy Anniversary Baby Daddy
Day #45
June 10th, 2013
Team Zybko



I don't have a wedding picture available for this anniversary post, mostly everything personal is off the walls and shelves while the house is up for sale. I do have this one tucked away in the corner, I cant help but leave it up. It's my favorite. Taken by one of the kids on Fathers Day 8 years ago, I remember the day well. We took a trip to Cheraw State Park because I wanted to check out the lake for an upcoming triathlon. Drexel was our big headed drooley baby of the season, tucked away in the back pack carrier, up and away from all the dangers that little busy boys are attracted to. Seems like a million years ago but also a touchable yesterday memory at the same time. The sun felt warm and cozy on our cheeks as we cruised around enjoying the lazy Sunday afternoon investigating the beautiful alligator invested South Carolina body of water. I never ended up participating in that particular tri, my fears of leaving my children motherless from an reptile attack during a recreational race and the murky lake bottom was too much for me to handle. 

Any HOO, my point is I look at this picture and get a warm feeling  just like when I think back to how I met my Baby Daddy. A courtship I would never recommend for my own children. Too fast and furious for sure. Set up on a blind date by a co-worker who just knew we would hit it off. 

No thank you, it's kinda a busy time in my life right now. I told her many conversations over and over again. Yes I am sure your brother is lovely but he lives far away and I have sworn off  another marriage FOREVER.

  
She didn't give up and either did he, leaving many a voice mails on my old school land line answering machine. Remember the days before cell phones and caller ID?  Screening your call as the person left a message, you could hear it live deciding whether or not to take the call. I never dialed his # back or picked up until one fateful night. The phone rang, I sat listening to the recording, too nervous to pick up the receiver with the long squiggle cord attached, my heart raced.

Should I? No. Should I? Maybe. Should I? 
The man with the greatest radio voice I had ever laid ears on informed me this was the last time he was going to get me to call back. I jumped up so fast I pulled a muscle before he stopped talking and gave up. We ended up talking for many hours that first conversation, way too long into the night and past our bedtimes.
 The next morning I woke up with a giggly, happy, goofy grin. I could hardly wait to talk to him again. I already knew he was a keeper as I practiced saying my new last name. Like an 11 year old girl I even said it out loud on the way to work.
Victoria Zipcode.
Victoria Zii-bah-co.
Victoria Zeeb-co.
Oh geez, I better learn how to pronounce it before our wedding day. That was just a small detail. Like I said, this is NOT the way dating should go down. Kids, pay no attention to this. It was crazy. For the next couple of weeks we were anxious to figured out a way to meet. Short story shorter he arranged to fly me down to Myrtle Beach from DC to spend the weekend together. 2 of my brothers said, whoa whoa whoa this does not look great Vicky. Going on to explain what kinda girl flies across a few states to meet a dude she barely knows. I will keep it PG. Rhymes with poor and is often written on the back of a bathroom door. I politely ignored them despite their good intentions. The date on my ticket couldn't come fast enough.

Boy meets girl.
Love at first sight confirms what we already knew.
After 2 days of googely eyes and holding hands we part ways until we can see each other again. I get a call that Monday night. I pick up before the end of the first ring. No screening necessary, I knew who it was. My favorite phone conversation I have recorded in my heart forever.

He says; I feel like I should ask you to marry me.
Without hesitation I say; I feel like I should say yes.
Bah-dah Bing bah-dah Boom.
The rest is history.
Less than three months later I was married with a new last name.
Z-Y B as in Boy K as in Kite O.
A Polish name I didn't know I would need to spell and pronounce for other people roughly 432 thousand times to date.

Of course it was a God thing. I was too dumb to realize it then but now I am wiser. Not a day goes by without thanking Him for my  husband and the express way he orchestrated our courtship. 
 

After all these years I am still a blushing school girl when he walks in a room or my phone lights up with an unexpected love text. Butterflies swirl uncontrollably. He has the ability to always put a smile on my face, even on the longest, weariest of days. 

Baby Daddy, thank you for putting up with my annoying habits and crazy ideas. I know it can't be a piece of cake being married to me. But like you say, we aren't perfect by any means but we are perfect for each other.
Happy Anniversary!
 

1 comment: