Tuesday, December 17, 2013



5K Santa Mud Run
Day 225
December 17, 2013
Team Zybko

A month ago when a friend of mine mentioned signing up for a 5K trail run together, it seemed like a good idea. Sounded great actually. So I immediately scribbled December 14th on my mental calendar amongst other soccer mom thoughts and smiled at the fresh new carrot set out before me. Just what I needed, a kind of intermediate holiday motivation. Stuck somewhere right in-between the second helping of Thanksgiving pumpkin pie and the yearly Christmas cookie treats from my neighbor down the street. Surely I'd be ready for this. How hard could it possibly be to run through the woods in a Santa suit and a few strategically placed jingly bells? So I signed up like a silly ole elf and began to plan my costume. I mean, I began to train extra hard. 

As the date came closer and closer and the weather report became clearer and clearer I realized running a fun race with a white beard and red hat would not out way the un-fun of the projected forecast. 
40 degrees and pouring the rain. 
Unfortunately this positive experience was beginning to only look good on a sheet of official north pole paper. The running partner from the beginning of this post, the one who had the bright idea of running a race in the middle of the winter had to bail out due to mommy duties. Totally understand that. 

For these two reasons I won't throw this person under the bus.
 #1 She had no way of knowing a nasty, ugly, rainy, cold spell would sweep through Charlotte during this week ruining the usually tolerable December southern weather AND #2 she is pretty much my only friend in town. So there you have it. How about next year JS? 

My brother and his wife who where in town visiting agreed were forced to participate if they wanted a place to stay and to be fed more than bread and water with lemon. That may be the last time they plan a visit anywhere near the date of the next annual Santa Run at the White Water Center. 
Thanks for being cool cats about it all!
    


BEFORE


AFTER



Highlights from the run:
*I managed to not fall on the slippery mud and break a hip
*Delaney finished second place for females 17 and under
*Eli scarfed down and enjoyed his first cup of hot chocolate
*Post race goodies included the best cookies I have ever eaten
*Over sized jacket came in handy to snag extra cookies for later 
*Despite the weather I had fun
*It reminded me why I used to do these
*Mother/Daughter bonding time
(Well, I mean before and after, 
not during. She is WAY too fast for me)
* New long sleeve shirt to dress up any yoga pant
*My faithful Nikes cleaned up fine in the washer
*Much more appreciative of a hot shower
*Family time well spent 
























No comments:

Post a Comment