Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Free Furniture From Aldi
Day 227
December 18, 2013
Team Zybko

Who knew Aldi food store was such a grand slam. Fast service, low prices and big, organized clean isles. I have just recently started doing some of my shopping there. We actually had one in Florence but it was on the other side of town and honestly, at the time I wasn't interested in anything other than bulk shopping. Sam's was my happy, hot spot grocery store for over a decade. I am sure, wink wink, they loved to see the prison van pull up into the parking lot, over a curb and into an extra large spot.

A few things I could guarantee would happen during one of our weekly trips:

 An overflowing cart 45 minutes after entering
Leaving with more items than planned
Someone would spill an extra large container of blueberries
Inside Frank would find the perfect bag of green apples with a cheesy grin
Being in the way of a forklift
Praying I had enough money in checking
One of the kids triple partaking in a store cookie demo
A sweaty, painful bear hug from outside Frank
Loosing my list halfway through
Seeing someone I knew
On a good day, a marriage proposal from either one of the Franks


But that was then this is now. Realistically I have no need to stock pile or be ready to cook a dinner for 12 or 13 people on the fly. Plus, storage is at a minimal, no room for 86 rolls of toilet paper, 20 pounds of chicken breast or 654 eggs.

 I won't bore you with details but we are still living without most of our furniture. Which gets me stoked about my next visit to there but back to the story and why Aldi is my new favorite store. We actually have one within walking distance but don't let that fool you, we have only gone there by foot one time. I thought it was fun, ya know, kinda like a European field trip and all. I suppose we weren't as cute as I thought we were. Looked a little down and out as we strolled alonged the side walk with a duck taped rolley suitcase filled with cheap bacon and off brand granola bars. A few kind southern passer by-ers even offered me a lift and handed me the address where I could get a nice hot meal for me and the kids. Bless their hearts.

 As long as I am fessing up to the whole unique Aldi shopping experience thing, I admit I can never find a quarter for the cart exchange or have any of my 400 reusable plastic bags on hand. Why just today I ran out of hands so I took off my parka, shoved $53 worth of items into it and carried it by the tied up sleeves as I finished cruising up and down the isles. I kept waiting for security to tap me on the shoulder but they didn't. That's the thing, anything goes at Aldi.

I am an Aldi newbie so my list of guaranteed gonna happen while I am there is still growing:

You will see another home school family, possible using budgeting as a math lesson
A cute old lady who is only buying celery will smile at you and remind you,
Enjoy them cause they really do grow up  fast. 
Somehow a strange German pastry you can't even pronounce will find its way into the cart
10% of the women in the store at any given time do not shave their arm pits
You will find the perfect box to complete the making of a kid dresser.
I love the free furniture from Aldi!



No comments:

Post a Comment