Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Love/ Un-Love iPhone Relationship
Do You Have an Addiction Too?
Day 289
February 11, 2014
Team Zybko



Love how it keeps me in touch
Un-love how I'm never unplugged

Love how the local temperature pops up in 2 seconds flat
Un-love how I don't just walk outside 

Love how easily I can look up anything for home school
Un-love how I don't go old school with reference books

Love how emails can be returned anywhere
Un-love how I return emails everywhere

Love how quick texting is compared to calling
Un-love how dialing a friends # isn't quite quick enough

Love how a moment can be captured with a push of a finger
Un-love how I can ruin a moment while trying to document it 

Love how I feel connected while scrolling the news feed
Un-Love how it makes my kids feel neglected

Love how my GPS app can get me to the ends of the earth
Un-love how the navigational part of my brain is now dead 

Love catching up on news with simple swipes of my fingers
Un-love how my hands haven't held a newspaper in years 

Love how it entertains the little ones in a pinch
Un-love how I allow no brainer games to bond with them daily 

Love how I always know where it is
Un-love how I care about knowing where it always  

I am waist deep in efforts, hoping and searching for a way out. Fighting off this ugly technology dependency is harder than I thought it would be. Ugh. Too much time with my smart phone. Convicted to share because I can't be alone I know I'm not alone.
I see it everywhere I go. Phone distracted people. At the park, grocery stores, car lines, soccer fields, dinner tables, play dates, date-dates, living rooms, airports, church. E V E R Y W H E R E! I feel slightly panicked when it's misplaced. I feel naked when it isn't tucked safely away in my sports bra or my sweatshirt front pocket. I check it periodically even if it doesn't vibrate or ding. Do these symptoms sound familiar? Smart phones are so ugly when misused. The other day my six year old asked me to try a phone free day. Great idea honey but I just couldn't. I made excuses until she got bored and left the room. Boo me :( 
BUT....BUT.... BUT
 but I am checking up on people
 but I am finding out the weather 
but I am listening to Daily Audio Bible
but I am seeing if soccer practice is cancelled
but I am researching the symptoms of....(fill in the blank)
but I need to see if Daddy has left work yet
but I am texting a Bible verse to a friend
but I am so curious about who sings this awesome song
but I am taking a picture of dinner cause it was so good
but I creeping on a lady from High School I haven't seen in years
the excuses seemed to get worse as the minutes ticked by. 

I just shut er down.
Pushed the small button on the top right.
I can do this. 
One day at a time. 
We are all home for a snow day.
Perfect.
If you don't hear from me, don't panic.
Just kicking the chain-swiping iphone problem to the curb.
Ready....set.... go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment