Tuesday, February 18, 2014


Snow Cuisine
Dirty Treats Made With LOVE
Day 294
Team Zybko

When your children smile proudly and serve you a treat prepared by their own hands it can be difficult to stifle the questions whirling around your brain. 
Uh, what is in this?
Did you wash your hands after you went to the bathroom?
Did you get these mushy blueberries out of the trash?
You didn't use yellow snow did you?

No way was I going to be snow day buzz kill, so instead I bellied up to a freshly made bowl of SNUSHY. Pepsi + fluffy white southern snow = snushy. The first couple of bites were totally refreshing. I closed my eyes as I dreamt of a warmer season, a season lined with consecutive days stuffed full of hot, biking, playing and hiking outdoor fun. Good times. These adventures are nearly always followed up with a quick run to the nearest 7-11 for a Coke Slurpee treat. Yes,  I thought, this tastes exactly like an awesome summer day! Why haven't we ever done this before?  

Well, my dreams were quickly crushed. Unfortunately a funky taste crept into my soccer mom mouth each slurp thereafter. The unfamiliar yet distinct taste of dirt became clearer and clearer. Oh dear, there is no way I can finish this. 
Think...think....think.

Oh, wow kids, mommy is full. I better save the rest for later. Great job on the snow menu. Elsa sure would be proud of you too! 

I placed the cold plastic bowl on the bottom shelf on the fridge, bad move. Later in the evening as I pulled food leftovers out for dinner my eyes fell onto the melted contents of my half eaten treat. The snow had long since melted, leaving the accidental mystery ingredients in plain view. 
Grass, brown sludge and what looked like crushed gravel.        


So the next day when I was politely approached by two young winter chefs and a new dish I pretended to fall asleep mid answer. They didn't buy it so I declared I heard my mom calling me from 2 states away and ran out of the room. I have to admit the fruit salad placed ever so gently in the homemade ice bowl was pretty awesome. I can't say how it tasted but Baby Daddy thankfully wasn't any worse for the wear the next day. 

Made with love. 
What more can you ask for?
 Maybe love and a side of mouthwash.   




No comments:

Post a Comment