Tuesday, August 27, 2013




Road Side Produce
Day 117
August 27th, 2013 
Team Zybko


The impromptu stop to a road side produce stand started off normal enough. 3 minutes in I regretted not grabbing my camera from the car. I tell the kids to stay put as I jog the 40 yards across the parking lot to retrieve it. Delilah cried as if I was torturing her, I decide to not give into to the whining and make a run for it. 45 seconds 2 minutes later I return, they obeyed and stayed put but only because an "attack chicken" was on the loose. She is my kid who gets frighted by a sleeping puppy. Luckily big brother was there to protect her. I love big brothers. 








La La reaches up to the scale positioned higher than her head. She proudly places the bag of grapes she has picked out for her big sister......upside down, open pointed south. A pound and a half of fresh green grapes hit the dirt floor with a thump. Fruit balls roll and scatter everywhere. No worries, still a good trip. We turn the corner to find boiled peanuts, she loves weird nuts. Not my words people, this is what she calls them. I'm from the north, I call them a waste of a good peanut or why would you do that to a peanut?








The colors of healthy eating are beautiful! 
Sweet potatoes the size of cave man clubs and egg plant smart phones will soon be the new rage.
  

















 This is Brenda, she owned the joint. She never stopped working, as she took serious pride in her business.
Something different, something you don't see at Walmart everyday. 


I did NOT get any of these. The name kinda freaked me out a bit.
I have eaten Elk and a dried cricket this year. 
Let's not push it people.


Drexel planted something while we waited to be rung up. He says we should come back to check it out later. Ok bud, sure, I will put that as a reminder on my phone for sure. 
How about a 2 week interval? 


The check out lady was NOT one of La La's people. No make up, non fancy, working woman's hair and dirt under her unpainted finger nails. I knew why she was starring and looking a bit horrified. I turned it around like a champ on the spot in a hushed whisper, making a learning moment out of it. Explaining softly like a Mrs. Cleaver talk in a Leave it Beaver episode about accepting and loving all people. She was cool with that. The lack of bra under her white wife beater on the other could NOT be explained out of her memory bank, or Drexel's. That's ok, yummy seedless water melon can help with that.







No comments:

Post a Comment