Sunday, January 12, 2014



DON'T Let Your Kids Ride With a Stranger
Unless it's a Shiny Bright Red Ferrari
Day 254
January 12, 2014
Team Zybko


I am positive it's a story he will tell many times as an adult. 
His kids will think he made it up, they will also think grandma was a little off her rocker to allow it to work out. So before I begin, let me say for the record I am not an advocate of letting children drive off with strangers for any reason, even $250,000 freakin' awesome, sport cars. But....with a unique combination of second hand coffee smoke, the confirming voice of The Holy Spirit and a mothers intuition I went with it and it all worked out.   


Expecting to simply shimmy through the Starbucks drive-thru for a pound of ground beans and the free tall drip, it should have taken 5 minute tops. That was before we were got side tracked by a super cool car.

Mom, can we park instead so I can check it out?
Yea I guess so. I even have my camera with me today!
AND look mom, I have my Ferrari shirt on too.

Although that is NO shocker as my car guy finds that shirt every other wash load. I can't blame him, it's soft, fits him nicely and is made with the finest cotton money can buy.


We walk into Starbucks in search of a pick me up and the driver of Drexel's dream car. OK, let's see, how do we find someone who could spend more money on a set wheels than my house is worth.
Think. Think. Think.
Find a really rich looking person Drex said.
As much as I want to agree I explain you simply can't judge what the driver would look like.

We spot a fancy guy working on his laptop while wearing expensive sunglasses.
Nah.
A soccer mom ordering a super high maintenance latte.
Maybe but we keep searching.
A dude waiting for his drink wearing a Maserati shirt.
BINGO! Has to be. 
I encourage my 8 year old car buff to ask him some questions.

Mom, that's weird, what if he isn' the driver?
I am standing right here honey, you've got nothing to loose.
I don't want to.
You should.
Will you do it for me mom?
No bud, this is your thing, I wouldn't even know what to ask him. 



I end up caving in hopes of preventing any regretful thoughts a few minutes down the road. The man smiles as I approach him like a big goober, my camera tucked around my back and my hopeful son at my side. After a few minutes of car small talk later the man asks Drex if he would like to sit it?

Yes, sir, that would be awesome.
Actually, I tell you what, would you like to go for a ride around the block?
Drexel looks from the guy to me back to the guy.
Mom? 
I fought back some caffeine buzz tears as I could only imagine what a big deal this would be for Drexel. 

Again, this is NOT normal momma bear behavior. The stranger's 10 year daughter was with him for the afternoon and was left behind as collateral. He was banking on me not being a freak as well. I know mom, the entire thing looks bad on paper.



La La and I could hear the smooth engine as it lapped around Baxter Village a few times like a boss. 
Before we knew it they were back. Even though he is barely tall enough to see out of the passenger side window I catch a glimpse of his smile. Along with his favorite red shirt Drexel was wearing the biggest, happiest smile of all time. 






No comments:

Post a Comment